Boss shotshells

They hammer all ducks. Still have to hit them where it counts though. They won't fall when you shoot the curls off.

I want to try the 5s for pheasants where I can’t use lead, and I think the 2s would make a great goose load. I’ll be ordering some when it’s available.

I want to try the 5s for pheasants where I can’t use lead, and I think the 2s would make a great goose load. I’ll be ordering some when it’s available.
They are typically making a batch of #5's every week( they post the weekly schedule on their facebook group), they are only selling by the case at the moment. They update the website with what is available everyday at 10am EST and it sells out in less than a minute on most 12gauge loads. I shoot the 3" #4s at everything from early season teal to late season goose. I am highly impressed with their penetration, complete pass through on birds.

who the hell is finding ammo so available they can be picky on brand? I haven't seen a box of 12 ga 3" shells that weren't 00 Buck on the shelf in months!
I've never seen so much 00 buck in my life. Idk if it's just because that's all that's there now but there's cases of it everywhere.

My wife bought the 3/5's this year and i have shot them once. I saw absolutely no difference from the federal i normally shoot. in fact the ducks i did kill flew halfway across the pond and then dropped and were dead when i got to them. I dont want discount them after only a couple tries but for almost double the price I wouldn't buy them. Except this year, Ill take what i can get which is normally nothing.

I bought and shot a case of them waterfowl hunting last year. They didn’t really light my fire. They shoot dirty and I seemed to have to clean my sx3 more than usually. For decoying ducks and geese, regular steel seemed to work just as good.

I'm a big fan for my 16 gauge. #4's for pheasant killed them dead this year. A case will last me many, many seasons. I liked them out of my 12 for ducks and geese too, but shoot too much to afford it.

The nice thing about Bismuth is that it allows u to shoot more/smaller shot with similar penetration to steel. So #3 steel would be equivalent to #4 or #5 bismuth.

Doesn't really matter for 12ga, but for 20ga you're talking about significantly more shot in each shell. I think Boss 20ga #5 is like 220 bismuth pellets compared to 200 steel #3 pellets in a 1 1/4oz 12 ga load.

Boss is the most affordable factory bismuth shell. Something like $1.40/shell if u buy a case. Hevi, federal, and Kent are all like $2-2.50/shell. If Boss increases their prices to that level, I'll quit using the 20ga and go back to 12ga steel.

The nice thing about Bismuth is that it allows u to shoot more/smaller shot with similar penetration to steel. So #3 steel would be equivalent to #4 or #5 bismuth.

Doesn't really matter for 12ga, but for 20ga you're talking about significantly more shot in each shell. I think Boss 20ga #5 is like 220 bismuth pellets compared to 200 steel #3 pellets in a 1 1/4oz 12 ga load.

Boss is the most affordable factory bismuth shell. Something like $1.40/shell if u buy a case. Hevi, federal, and Kent are all like $2-2.50/shell. If Boss increases their prices to that level, I'll quit using the 20ga and go back to 12ga steel.
FWIW, Boss will (or did), upon request, load with fiber wads. This significantly lowers pressure for those of you with more elderly guns. They have been very effective for me on pheasants and ducks.

I got a case of their #5s for my 16ga Win model 12 (older shotgun so I can't shoot steel), and might brave the cold this weekend for the tail end of SD pheasant season. Hopefully I can report back with some success. They had an "email me when in stock" option on the website that allowed me to get them fairly easily when the time came (but it did take a while to get that email).

I should also point out that I think the price is pretty good for what it is. I paid $295 pre tax for 200 shells, which are 1oz loads. Bismuth shot (from rotometals) is more than a dollar an oz ($169 for a 10 pound bag). So there's about $210 worth of bismuth in the batch (plus the Boss shot is copper plated, which the rotometal bulk shot is not).

I have had enough supply to get me through this season but that's it. I'll be looking now. Is the supply at Boss better in the off season?
Still cannot believe that I cannot go into town and purchase shotgun shells, unreal.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back