Boss shotshells

Ordered a batch for the upcoming duck season. Haven’t used them yet, but can say the customer service was excellent and the outward appearance of the shells is very good. We’ll see how well they pattern and penetrate in October.

On decoying birds it is a bit of a waste. Can kill them just as dead with Super X.

That being said, the one bird I’ve killed with Boss 3” #3/5 combo load that I distinctly remember was a drake mallard crossing left to right with about a 15MPH headwind at 54 yards (according to OnX line distance) with a stock modified choke in a Stoeger M3000. I really had no business shooting that far but as things go on a slower day, the trigger finger gets mighty itchy. Anyways, pulled up, gave a ridiculous amount of lead and let her fly. Bird got absolutely crushed. Not dead, but just hammered. By the time the dog got out to it, it had snuck into some reeds and was lost for a bit. Searched hard for about 30 minutes before the dog followed her nose into the prairie and came back with a nice fat green head. Busted wing and leg on the right side of the bird (nearest to me) and a couple hits to the body. Seriously impressive power at that range, but ultimately over priced for the hunting I do 99% of the time (feet down over the decoys). Good product if you can stomach the price. Good luck this year!

Anyone know if the shell is a full oad of copper plated bismuth or is it a blend?
99% sure it’s a full load. Their customer service is really good about getting back with people, either via social media or a phone call.

I honestly had to quit following them on social media because the fan-boy posts were too much.

They are good shit, when they first came out some buddies were given a couple cases to market. I like em better than migra. We were dumping honkers with the 3/5 mix no problem on decoying birds. That said they were free, kill birds with steel at the range we shoot no problem. For snow geese they are awesome for those longer shots with a extra full kicks choke. Pattern great.

I shot them and Kent bismuth last year out of the SX3. Both were 3 inch number 5s. Both had impressive results on ducks and an occasional goose. I thought Kent’s were much cleaner shooting. Boss were pretty dirty. I also had a few jams with boss shells especially in zero degree weather. I never had any problem with any other shells in any weather. I thought it might have something to do with the really high brass they have. I talked to the owner of Boss and he told me in SX3s that run boss to use mobile 1 synthetic motor oil, instead of regular gun oil. After that they were great. Price of Kent’s went way up a case of 250 is $499 at Cabelas now. Boss stayed the same, $270 for a case of 200. Come in boxes of 20 shells. Boss is also copper plated which is an advantage. Both patterned great. Hope this helps. PS heavy metal bismuth is garage in my opinion.

I bought some for my 20ga and have a few thoughts:

Since the bismuth is more dense than steel (but obvi not lead or tungsten) you can use smaller pellets so more pellets/shell. So pellet count was comparable or better with #5 bismuth 20ga vs 3.5" 12ga #2 steel with comparable penetration based on ballistics charts I've seen (because the steel quickly loses velocity). Also, be honest, everyone shoots too much at fleeing birds. And sometimes u have to take a 40 yard shot if u wounded on a 10 yard shot and bird is fleeing. Bismuth won't extend the ethical range but can provide more downrange energy when needed.

The copper plating? They say it makes pellet more round/smooth for better flight and also protects against fragmentation. Maybe, idk. There was probably 5 or so fragments in my pattern.

Price point way better than most bismuth except maybe hevi-bismuth but only if u are buying individual boxes. If u buy bulk from boss with free shipping it easily beats the cheapest store bismuth.

We'll see how it performs on ducks/geese. Will use the 20ga with bismuth exclusively this year unless/until I run out of shells. I have some hevi-bismuth that patterns well out of my 12ga I may also use.

BTW I haven't found expensive steel to pattern better than cheap superX. If ur buying expensive 3.5" steel just buy 3" bismuth.

BTW I haven't found expensive steel to pattern better than cheap superX. If ur buying expensive 3.5" steel just buy 3" bismuth.
Not disagreeing but adding my opinion on this.

Every shotgun I've had (5 in the last 8 years or so) has pattern different shells in different ways.
Sometimes a specific gun likes a more expensive brand over cheap. Other times the opposite.

I always gather as many different brands, shot and dram sizes as possible when patterning my shotguns.
I've been surprised a couple times at what patterned good and what didn't

Not disagreeing but adding my opinion on this.

Every shotgun I've had (5 in the last 8 years or so) has pattern different shells in different ways.
Sometimes a specific gun likes a more expensive brand over cheap. Other times the opposite.

I always gather as many different brands, shot and dram sizes as possible when patterning my shotguns.
I've been surprised a couple times at what patterned good and what didn't
Good point, I was just surprised how bad expensive steel patterned in my particular gun. Kinda pissed me off lol.

Anyone know if the shell is a full oad of copper plated bismuth or is it a blend?
It is a full load of copper-plated bismuth. One of my hunting partners uses them exclusively and he loves them. I'll probably pick some up once I've gone through the 5# bottle of bismuth I have for reloading.

Back