Yeti GOBOX Collection

Boots boots and more boots

bwcatripper

OK, long story boring, I'm an adult onset hunter. I spent the last six years in the Army, so I understand the importance of good footwear, but the choices for good hunting boots is confusing. I've applied for a WY antelope tag this fall, will be chasing whitetails in MN and WI, but the goal is elk hunting in 2017. However, I know I'm gonna need good boots. Got it, I know it's gonna be anywhere from $200-500 for boots, but what should I look for? Brands? Height? Thanks much.

For a heavy duty boot Ive been really happy with Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. The only negative is that they are stiff enough if my knee is bothering me it gets more irritated. If you have knee troubles then a lighter weight hiker with more ankle flex helps. For that I've been wearing Lowa Renegades GTX for a few years and LOVE them. Lots of good brands available though....best thing you can do is find some to try on.

Ditto on trying them on to see how they are sized & feel.
Lowa Tibets for me now!

Zamberlan, Lowa, Kennetrek, Crispi. See which ones your feet like. I used to be a Meindl fan, but I kept chewing through the Cabelas ones to quickly for the price. I bought the Zamberlan Guides a few months ago and I really like them alot. I have also had Crispi's and they were excellent as well.

I've hunted Elk in soft hikers (merrell moab) to stiff mountaineering boots (Lowa cevedale Pro). Six years in the Army you should have a good idea what works. if hunting rocky ground I would go stiffer, sticks and dirt a soft boot will work.

I like a stiffer boot when carrying a heavy backpack or when packing an animal out. If making day trips from a camp near a road, then the lighter boots will work if terrain is not to steep or rocky.

I wear Whites 12" elk tan rough-out boots everyday of the year, except in snow deeper than 6" and/or temps below 25 degrees. Then, I put on my 16" Schnees Hunter II boots. A little longer to lace them up, and a little heavier, but total comfort, durability, and support from both pairs. Had Schnees Boots since Nov 2002 and Whites Boots since April 2004.
Quality footwear is KEY!

I picked up some Danner Radical 452 i have read a million opinions some love the lighter but still heavy duty hiking book while others prefer a taller hunting boot, guess i will find out this year if i made a smart choice or not. Has anyone used the Danner Radicals for elk hunting?

Maybe you guys could also tell where you got your boots? I've never seen any of the brands mentioned in a store around me besides the Meindl boots at Cabela's. Do you guys just order them on the internet and hope for the best?

Backcountry.com, Amazon.com, & REI is where I buy. Kennetreks are sold in Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas. I bought my Zamberlans at REI.com and had them shipped to the store here. REI has the best return policy I have found, and, if you can, I recommend buying from them. You can exchange or return them if you are not happy. Backcountry.com makes returns really easy, but you can't wear them outside and it will cost you 7 bucks to send them back. Amazon.com is a little riskier, but alot of the higher end boots for sale on there offer free returns. Unless you want Kennetreks, you probably won't find what you want in a store.

Rei the last 10 years so I can return them when they leak. Bought the Hanwag Alaskans from campsaver a cpl weeks back because rei couldn't order them so I'm stuck with them when they start to leak, and they will leak. They are currently 30% off.

Last edited:
The last 10 years most of my hunting has been done in Lowa Renegade GTX or Asolo 520 TPS. Both work great for my feet, the Asolo is a fair bit stiffer. When the temp drops I'm using Kenetrek Mountain Extremes with 400 grams of insulation. My heel is a touch narrow for them so I have to be diligent when lacing them up.

You have to try many pairs though, feet are so specific to the individual.

I'm having good luck with Schnee's Absarokas. I wear them everywhere from bow hunting elk in the breaks, to hiking at 12k in the beartooth, sheep hunting, etc...
They're unins but as long as I'm moving I don't get cold, unless its frigid cold.

i went the custom route and bought my boot from lathrop and sons. been very happy with the fit, and seem to take the miles great.

Schnees...been wearing them over 20yrs--hunted elk and muleys in the mountains of Idaho, Nevada and Montana-- antelope in Montana, caribou in the Northwest Territories, blacktails and pigs in CA and whitetails in Nebraska, and I've never been let down....virtually very little break in time in my experience.....

schnees.com

I've always thought with boots, every foot is different. As long as you're wearing a high quality boot like Kenetrek, Schnees, Lowa, Hanwag, Crispi, Scarpa, and Zamberlans it really all comes down to personal preference and how they fit your foot and heel. You really cannot try on enough.

Lowa Tibets are pretty popular with the folks ehre. Use use mine hiking all summer and I have been out in -20F and been ok. They are a huge step up over boots in the <$300 range if you are packing heavy loads. My wife got a pair and loves them too after having trouble finding good boots for years.

I finally wore out my soles and the rubber on the sides. I'm getting them rebuilt for $95, which seems like one hell of a deal if they turn out as good as the originals. With most boots you can't put new soles on them.

If you are serious about boots go to where they have lots to try on,find what fits you and then get the best deal.
Local store could be the deal if you are repeat customer. You will not have to worry about returning if you get the right boot.
Online can be the deal. I found Lowa Tibets for $200 new in box. Guy had bought online and not the right fitting size. & Lowa covers their boots.

I went with the Tibets after looking at lots of boots,and many trips long distance to do so. Took several sets of different weight socks. Found 1/2 size up for heavy winter socks was needed and didn't effect light summer socks.Liners too.
Buddy here in NM has 2 pairs, uses them year round,even after desert critters.
I had used Lowas for years mountaineering & backpacking. Had been using Meindels for hunting 20 yrs.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back