Boise Area Gunsmith

BackofBeyond

I recently purchased a S&W 329 off Gunbroker for an upcoming trip to AK (plus I like guns, so why not.) Problem is, I think the cylinder is slightly out of time with the forcing cone. I'm getting copper shavings blowing back against the cylinder, leaving a build up on the right side of the forcing cone, and horrible accuracy even with well taken shots.

I called S&W, but since I didn't buy it new, warranty isn't a thing, and was told to send the pistol to them and in 6 months a smith will look at it... also have to pay extra for a cost estimate to fix... then however long it takes to actually fix the issue. Not exactly ideal - but at the same time, not a deal killer.

Any recommendations for a good gunsmith in the Boise area? Google/Yelp/etc. turns up lots of armorers, but not much in the way of a gunsmith that can do much other than put a fancy slide on a Glock or bolt more tacti-crap on a Man-Barbie.

Call elite rifle works in nampa, they’ve done great work for me in the past on rifles. I’m sure they could take a look at it.
Gave Jim a call over at Elite this morning. Really good guy, but unfortunately they don't work on revolvers. He did however give me a lead on another guy, then called me back 30 minutes later with another name that came to mind. I gave that guy a call, who basically diagnosed it over the phone, and said it was a common problem with Smith's... TL;DR - my 329 has a date with BGW Gunsmithing later this week.

Thanks for the recommendation for Elite! Seriously good guy.

Gave Jim a call over at Elite this morning. Really good guy, but unfortunately they don't work on revolvers. He did however give me a lead on another guy, then called me back 30 minutes later with another name that came to mind. I gave that guy a call, who basically diagnosed it over the phone, and said it was a common problem with Smith's... TL;DR - my 329 has a date with BGW Gunsmithing later this week.

Thanks for the recommendation for Elite! Seriously good guy.
Awesome, glad they were able to help you.

Figured I'd loop back to this, just in case someone is searching for Boise area gunsmiths in the future...

BGW fixed the issue, which wasn't the original issue he thought it was... cylinder was timed well, but the forcing cone needed some love. It took him a while to get it diagnosed, but once he did it was zip-zing here's your pistol back. I'd recommend him, I'm happy with the job he did and the price he charged for it.

Shot it this last weekend while out scouting for speed goats... accuracy and shoot-ability are much improved. It's probably in my head, but it does seem like the recoil is improved. And yes, I actually DO ENJOY shooting it, even though I couldn't have written my name after a box of 50 rds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back