Boat motor review?

duckhunt

Im in the market for a new motor. Ive always been an evinrude guy but they don't make new motors in a 4 stroke. My boat is rated for a 50 horse tiller. So ive been thinking about a Yamaha or honda. This will be a brand new motor. The Yamaha is is 8000 with a 3 year warranty and the Honda is 7000 with a 5 year warranty. Obviously I am leaning towards the Honda but have never owned either. Any pros or cons about these motors?

I am currently running a 90 horse yamaha. I had a 60 merc on the boat before and man I don't know if I could run anything other than a Yamaha now... I can idle my 90 down to 1.2 mph for trolling, and get it up to 36 wide open. I can't say much for Honda motors as I've never owned one, but that being said I've always had good luck with Yamahas. From generators to boat motors they make quality motors.

Yamaha starts great, whether it's 100 or 20 degrees out it always fires right away. I prefer it to the mercury I had before but in comparison to the Honda I can't say much about it.

I am currently running a 90 horse yamaha. I had a 60 merc on the boat before and man I don't know if I could run anything other than a Yamaha now... I can idle my 90 down to 1.2 mph for trolling, and get it up to 36 wide open. I can't say much for Honda motors as I've never owned one, but that being said I've always had good luck with Yamahas. From generators to boat motors they make quality motors.

Yamaha starts great, whether it's 100 or 20 degrees out it always fires right away. I prefer it to the mercury I had before but in comparison to the Honda I can't say much about it.
Ive been out in a couple buddies boats with mercs and will say I will never own one.

I own a 4 stroke 115 Merc and it has been great. I only own it because it came as a package deal on the boat when I purchased it new in 2007. I think most major brands are good but what matters a few years later is the quality of the service guy. I also own a jet boat with a Suzuki 70 horse 4 stroke and it runs great but no one locally will service it. I do it all myself. Getting a Yamaha or Honda serviced shouldn't be an issue if you have a local dealer. Personally I like Yamahas but I don't own one.

Had a 50 yamaha on my boat. It ran very well, and used very little gas, and my boat was a beast, 21ft welded aluminum flat bottom. I could run it all day up river a couple miles, then drift back on a slow idle, 4 guys, and 200lbs of fish on about 15 gal of gas in 6-8 hrs, I probably burned 1/3 on the 10 mile upriver slog home. I would bet half the motors on the rivers here are Yamaha, the other half are a mix.

I have Mercs now and love em! New in 2001 and still running great with a crap ton of hours on em! But I did own a Honda 90 for a few years, 1998 model. Carbureted, not fuel injection. Very cold blooded and didn't sart for crap in cold weather, or if you sat for too long. Never could get it adjusted correctly. Other friends have had Yamahas and I have to say they have all been great motors. If I was only choosing between Yam and Honda, I'd go YAM for sure!

I have a Honda 90 and Honda 8 on my boat. Both have been great and I have had zero problems with either. My buddy runs a Yamaha 250 and 15 on his boat. Both brands have been great and would not hesitate to buy either brand.

I’m currently running a 2006 50HP Yammajamma and absolutely love it. It’s so quiet and knock on wood starts perfect every time. Idles quiet and slow enough it’d make an outlaw burst with excitement. Never came close to pushing a tank of gas yet but the guy I got it from said he and my gf’s dad once ran 50miles on a 6 gallon tank.

Pushing a 17 by 56 semi V aluminum boat. The hull has an additional aluminum floor and a gun box. With me and a loaded ice chest I can get 35mph

Don’t know anyone that has Honda motors for recreational boats but a lot of crew boats I jump on in the oil field are running Honda’s.

I am running a Yamaha 90 on my 20' Lund Alaskan. No problems at all with it. I can run it at trolling speed for hours, then crack it wide open without so much as a cough. We ran Honda motors on State boats for years. They were good motors also. I would consider which motor has the best dealer for service.

I have a 90 horse Mercury on my 96 Smokercraft and it has been good, but I would hands down take either of those brands of motors. I have friends with the Yamaha motor and they are great. I also have a fairly local Yamaha dealer, which would help. I think that the dealer thing is the important part. If you have access to both, I would say whichever had the best deal going on, would be the choice. I have not seen a bad thing about either brand.

It's been said a couple of times above but, should be stressed even more. The longevity of any motor comes down to the service. All of the modern motors perform well. Whether you do the service or your local dealer, do not skimp on your service. Oil changes at recommended intervals. Don't forget the lower units! Proper prep for storage is super-critical for us in the northern latitudes. Use marine-grade fuel stabilizer - always! If you can, buy ethanol-free gas. If not, buy only from a reputable filling station. Use marine-grade fuel stabilizer----oh, already said that. Maybe that's an important one.

Also, something most folks don't pay attention to, after you've had your motor a bit, broken-in a new motor, etc., you need to ensure your prop is the correct pitch and style for your boat and how you use it. Many people will berate a motor for this and that when, the core of their issue comes down to prop performance. Work with your dealer to get the right prop on your motor for how you use it.

Congratulations on your purchase. You will love it. You couldn't have made a poor choice with either Yamaha or Honda. They both make a great product.

I have a 40 Yamaha on my duck boat and a 300 on my Everglades. Never a bit of problem from either with hundreds of hours of use. Needless to say, I am a Yamaha guy...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back