Yeti GOBOX Collection

Blue/Dusky Grouse Stories and Tips Wanted!

I beg to differ! I don't often see them in aspens (if ever?) - it's the wrong aspect. We tend to stay away from aspens when hunting duskies. They like N facing pines/dark timber. Found a honey hole this weekend that had a series of old logging roads which they like because there's flat then a slope - flat then a slope - flat then a slope. They'd be on the flat right at the edge of the slope for easy escape.
Hmm interesting. I wonder if it depends on where you’re at in this giant mountain range.

Bumped a couple different groups today. Probably around 5-7 in total around 9k. Crazy how spooky these birds are when you invole dogs. View attachment 239944
Absolutely. I’ve seen them flush wild when the dog is on point 40-80 yards away. Different conditions, different times of year. I guarantee the birds I’m hunting don’t see much pressure.

I beg to differ! I don't often see them in aspens (if ever?) - it's the wrong aspect. We tend to stay away from aspens when hunting duskies. They like N facing pines/dark timber. Found a honey hole this weekend that had a series of old logging roads which they like because there's flat then a slope - flat then a slope - flat then a slope. They'd be on the flat right at the edge of the slope for easy escape.
I'm a second year dusky hunter. Harvested one. Flushed one. Both times at or near the road. This seems like some good advice! Thank you for connecting the dots!

Hmm interesting. I wonder if it depends on where you’re at in this giant mountain range.
They are tricky buggers! The challenge is part of what I enjoy but, I'm sure I've hiked about 50 miles in, what I consider, very rugged terrain and only harvested one. I'd love to increase that ratio.

Ummm, get a dog?

I find them on sage ridges when there is feed (currants and grasshoppers). Otherwise, I’d hike transition edges between timber, grass and sage.

You can find them driving forest service roads too if you want to be lazy.
Yeah. I'd love to get a dog. Thinking German wire-haired. I've heard they're good for dusky hunts. Thoughts? I do trace these transition areas. Flushing the birds is for... the dogs, haha.

They are tricky buggers! The challenge is part of what I enjoy but, I'm sure I've hiked about 50 miles in, what I consider, very rugged terrain and only harvested one. I'd love to increase that ratio.
Well what’s interesting is I have one honey hole, when I don’t find them near the logging roads in pine I always find them in the aspens. I run a 100% success rate on that mountain the last 4 years so I know for a fact they won’t shy away from aspens. In fact, most articles you read about them say they like to hang out near aspens/sage or aspen/pine edged habitat which makes sense as most currents and berries they eat early season are generally near that type of habitat. But it doesn’t surprise me at all that on some mountains they stick to pine exclusively. It’s interesting. I’d like to spread my wings this year and hit some new territory to see what birds are doing in different spots. I may not even go to my honey hole this year because I’d really like to find a few great spots so I gotta focus on different places.

Well what’s interesting is I have one honey hole, when I don’t find them near the logging roads in pine I always find them in the aspens. I run a 100% success rate on that mountain the last 4 years so I know for a fact they won’t shy away from aspens. In fact, most articles you read about them say they like to hang out near aspens/sage or aspen/pine edged habitat which makes sense as most currents and berries they eat early season are generally near that type of habitat. But it doesn’t surprise me at all that on some mountains they stick to pine exclusively. It’s interesting. I’d like to spread my wings this year and hit some new territory to see what birds are doing in different spots. I may not even go to my honey hole this year because I’d really like to find a few great spots so I gotta focus on different places.
Sounds like you're not such a rookie, haha. I'm beginning to think I need to focus on the old fire/logging road with pine and/or aspen/sage. Have you noticed higher productivity on north or south faces of mountains? The only one I've harvested was in heavy pine area and the one I flushed was heavy pine also. Both were in September. Beyond September, I've seen nothing.

I think every Dusky i've gotten into has been on a ridge top or very close to. Usually with timber on one side and fairly open on the other. My muzzleloader elk hunt in CO kinda fell apart and I only got one day in the woods. Luckily I found a covey of grouse on a little finger ridge and shot one with the muzzleloader. Crop was full of berries and leaves although I'm not exactly sure what type. I then bumped one walking down the fire road on my way home but it was after dark.

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 19
I think every Dusky i've gotten into has been on a ridge top or very close to. Usually with timber on one side and fairly open on the other. My muzzleloader elk hunt in CO kinda fell apart and I only got one day in the woods. Luckily I found a covey of grouse on a little finger ridge and shot one with the muzzleloader. Crop was full of berries and leaves although I'm not exactly sure what type. I then bumped one walking down the fire road on my way home but it was after dark.
Looks like blue berries or Oregon grape (Can't tell which), kinnikinnick, and maybe some current leaves but really can't be certain on that either. Also sweet CVA Optima, I just shot my first deer this muzzleloader season with one of those. Nice bird!

We found a pile of duskies this weekend. All were eating snow berries, snow berry leaves, and Oregon grapes. One had been eating seeds of some kind. Any idea what they are? 6AF7D04A-213E-4152-ADC5-4D9641C136F1.jpeg

New member here. And new Colorado Dusky Grouse hunter. Thanks, everyone, for all the good info so far.

I've done a lot of reading and map study over the past year, then got out last month for a couple of days in Grand County. I flushed a covey from near the road while driving up to the spot I planned to hunt, but I wasn't ready, and by the time I got the gun out and loaded I never did find them. I also flushed one up into an Aspen tree, but he took off, and I was in the trees and didn't get a clear shot until he was too far out. Given the stories of people hunting for several years before finding one (like @COrookie), I didn't feel too bad about my first hunt.

I do have a question. I believe the area I hunted might also contain Sage Grouse, but they would have been illegal to shoot. Based on the photos I've studied, the females look very similar to Duskies. Anything to look for to tell them apart--especially on the wing?

New member here. And new Colorado Dusky Grouse hunter. Thanks, everyone, for all the good info so far.

I've done a lot of reading and map study over the past year, then got out last month for a couple of days in Grand County. I flushed a covey from near the road while driving up to the spot I planned to hunt, but I wasn't ready, and by the time I got the gun out and loaded I never did find them. I also flushed one up into an Aspen tree, but he took off, and I was in the trees and didn't get a clear shot until he was too far out. Given the stories of people hunting for several years before finding one (like @COrookie), I didn't feel too bad about my first hunt.

I do have a question. I believe the area I hunted might also contain Sage Grouse, but they would have been illegal to shoot. Based on the photos I've studied, the females look very similar to Duskies. Anything to look for to tell them apart--especially on the wing?
Nice man sounds like a pretty good day out. As far as sage vs dusky I would assume the tail feathers are the best way to tell the difference. I have never seen or hunted sage grouse but I searched "Female sage grouse in flight," followed by the same search for dusky grouse in google images and it appears the tail feathers are quite different. So when you're out and about and flush some birds and you suspect both birds are in the area you may need to just take an extra second or two to get positive target identification.

The tail feathers on sage are more like pheasant than they are grouse. Front plumage of both sex sage show white. And, possibly most important, dusky is found at aspen up to spruce elevation. I think sage grouse are lower, more like ptarmigan.

... I searched "Female sage grouse in flight," followed by the same search for dusky grouse in google images and it appears the tail feathers are quite different. ...
Yes, the tail feathers look distinctive in the photos I found. I've seen Sage Grouse, but only on the ground (and running away from me). Good tip.

This is an especially good photo of females.

Thanks, guys. I think the main thing I need is to get out and see some more grouse.

I find a lot of them on ridge tops too, and north facing slopes. Mostly ridge tops, but that’s where I spend a lot of time. Hell, they could be thick as thieves on the South facing slopes and I’d literally never know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back