Blood stain Antler

calebuga27

Hey guys, possible dumb question here. I shot my first archery deer 10 days ago, a small muley in full velvet. I didn't have a desire to keep the velvet so stripped it all off the afternoon I shot it, and took off as much of the membrane as I could a few days later. It's been drying outside but I'm seeing what is either A) bloodstain, or B) blood in the antler. When I stripped the velvet it hardly bled at all and the antler itself seemed 100% hard horned. My question is this, do I need to attempt to get the blood out of the antler? Or will it dry out? I just don't want to risk having my first archery buck go bad! All help welcomed. Thanks!

Hey guys, possible dumb question here. I shot my first archery deer 10 days ago, a small muley in full velvet. I didn't have a desire to keep the velvet so stripped it all off the afternoon I shot it, and took off as much of the membrane as I could a few days later. It's been drying outside but I'm seeing what is either A) bloodstain, or B) blood in the antler. When I stripped the velvet it hardly bled at all and the antler itself seemed 100% hard horned. My question is this, do I need to attempt to get the blood out of the antler? Or will it dry out? I just don't want to risk having my first archery buck go bad! All help welcomed. Thanks!

More than likely a blood stain. Usually they rub it off when they strip their velvet on brush/trees.
Do you plan to color the antlers?
Post a picture of the antlers

I will probably plan on coloring/staining the antlers at some point. Ultimately, I just want the antlers to last a lifetime. Here are some pics. The "non white"/dark spots seem to be blood. IMG_3235.jpeg
IMG_3237.jpegIMG_3236.jpeg

The antlers are good. If you want to get the blood off, try some peroxide. But if you plan on "staining" them, just leave it like it is till you're ready and color over the blood.

It should darken over time a little, and the majority of color in most antlers is blood staining. A trick that many do, is if you strip the velvet soak them in water to draw out the blood, soon there after. They will come out very white. I have some caribou that turned out really blotchy, others are ok, I think it depends how close to shedding they were when killed. I'd cut some pine and other sticks with bark with sap in them and rub them down, grind some dirt in them, polish them up. They will take the sap and dirt color really well and easily. They are super pours right now, and if you stain them you will likely be very disappointed in the results. Most taxidermists would actually paint them with acrylic paint vs using some sort of oil base stain. That is if you want them colored.

I think it looks good as is. congrats on first archery kill. for my own curiosity, will the blood smell as it dries and fades?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back