Blind Hunting WA Deer

mjk21

Hello All,

Moved and settled into WA state now and looking to learn what I can about deer hunting - both west and east side. Likely to start on the west side this fall and wondering if using a blind is worth it. Knees are pretty banged up so tree climbers are not likely.
Besides still hunting and sitting up over looking re-prod is using a ground blind a possibility if travel routes are found?
Thanks for any insight provided.

Blinds can definitely be a good option. Will you be hunting with a rifle? If so, setting up your blind a fair amount of distance away from where you expect to see deer will be helpful (75 - 100 yards if possible), and try to be downwind, of course. If you can be on a hill and looking down that's even better. Baiting with apples is a good option as well. Nice thing about a pop up blind is with the constant rain we get here in western Washington, you'll be nice and dry all day sitting in your blind. It would be best to set up your blind well ahead of hunting season and leave it there until the end.

Blinds can definitely be a good option. Will you be hunting with a rifle? If so, setting up your blind a fair amount of distance away from where you expect to see deer will be helpful (75 - 100 yards if possible), and try to be downwind, of course. If you can be on a hill and looking down that's even better. Baiting with apples is a good option as well. Nice thing about a pop up blind is with the constant rain we get here in western Washington, you'll be nice and dry all day sitting in your blind. It would be best to set up your blind well ahead of hunting season and leave it there until the end.
Excellent. I plan on rifle but bow is always an option. What about theft issues leaving it up, I’ll be on public?

Rifle season has the most productive dates for blacktails, since it goes to October 31, when the bucks are just beginning to become more active during the daylight hours. Also the four day late season in mid November can be good.

Early archery could potentially be good the very first week of September if you catch the bucks still in their summer routines. But other than that I'd say archery would only be be beneficial to hunt if you want the option to take a doe.

As for theft, that's always a possibility, but if you put the blind away from any roads or obvious trails, it shouldn't be an issue. Even less so if you buy an access permit from one of the timber companies like Weyerhaeuser that allows you to drive in behind locked gates.

Rifle season has the most productive dates for blacktails, since it goes to October 31, when the bucks are just beginning to become more active during the daylight hours. Also the four day late season in mid November can be good.

Early archery could potentially be good the very first week of September if you catch the bucks still in their summer routines. But other than that I'd say archery would only be be beneficial to hunt if you want the option to take a doe.

As for theft, that's always a possibility, but if you put the blind away from any roads or obvious trails, it shouldn't be an issue. Even less so if you buy an access permit from one of the timber companies like Weyerhaeuser that allows you to drive in behind locked gates.
Great information, I appreciate it. I had heard about the timber company access and will look into it. Thanks for helping a newbie to the area.

Back