Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Blackhorn 209 new lots

Addicting

Did some testing today with the new lots since Hodgon owned them. They pledged not to change anything and apparently it’s still made in Canada as before.

There is a significant speed difference and volume difference. In weighing charges it took about 6 grains more to achieve the volume marks on the vials and match the speed. The load data on the BH209 site was pretty close to my rifle when I last tested the old powder 2 years ago. Now it took me to get to 90g by weight to meet the 120g by volume fill and speed.

I also noticed that it really likes to be compressed more. My ES and SD went down significantly when I bounced the ram off the bullet at least 3 times. I used to just push the conical down into firm contact with the powder. This time that was netting a ES of close to 75fps. After tapping it the same charge weight went down to a ES of 24 over 6 shots.

If you buy the new lots check your loads.

Last edited:
Ok, the old powder and data had a 1.42 rate of volume to weight. I loaded up a variety of tubes to 120g by volume and then measured on my scale for weight. It came out to average 1.26. Which also closely matched published velocities.

Here is just 4 that I used when grouping today. The 3 at 120 by volume had 95g of weight. The 1 at 110ish was 91.

All published load data I found was a 1.42 factor. That is all from the old lots. Do NOT use that data, verify all new lots for your self.

635AE3E7-2F22-421B-9FC7-C441301A5C29.jpeg

That's a little concerning. Luckily for me not many people use a muzzleloader down here, and I bout like six pounds at bass pro in tallhassee last September

Ok, the old powder and data had a 1.42 rate of volume to weight. I loaded up a variety of tubes to 120g by volume and then measured on my scale for weight. It came out to average 1.26. Which also closely matched published velocities.

Here is just 4 that I used when grouping today. The 3 at 120 by volume had 95g of weight. The 1 at 110ish was 91.

All published load data I found was a 1.42 factor. That is all from the old lots. Do NOT use that data, verify all new lots for your self.

View attachment 222416
So to confirm I understand your results, if I previously used 84gr by weight with the Western Powders manufactured lots, I’ll need 95gr by weight with the new lots manufactured by Hodgdon to produce the same velocity?

I’m still going to test on my own, just making sure I’m correctly interpreting your results.

So to confirm I understand your results, if I previously used 84gr by weight with the Western Powders manufactured lots, I’ll need 95gr by weight with the new lots manufactured by Hodgdon to produce the same velocity?

I’m still going to test on my own, just making sure I’m correctly interpreting your results.
Roughly yes, 84 should be max at 120g by volume in the published data. It by no means is via velocity testing nor by volume testing on two different types of BH209 marked tubes. I have 20 tubes and none match up.

I have settled at 91 being comfortable in my gun based off from the velocity testing I did and what that powder is supposed to do at a given volume.

I think I went through abou 300 dollars worth of primers powder an bullets trying to get a load made up for that thing. The fact that I'll eventually have to start over makes me want to cry.

I think I went through abou 300 dollars worth of primers powder an bullets trying to get a load made up for that thing. The fact that I'll eventually have to start over makes me want to cry.
You will just need to adjust your powder volume to match the same velocity. With my data as a guide, work your way up in 3 grain increments 3 shot groups. Bet your back on track with two groups.

However, if you want to spend 300 bucks. I will have a slew of projectiles up for sale here shortly. Thor, Hornday x4, Traditions, & Bear Creek. Partials packs are all on my bench from testing. Finding a elk load for this Muzzy has been challenging. I’ve shot a entire bottle of 209 and still need to finalize the top 3 contenders.

You will just need to adjust your powder volume to match the same velocity. With my data as a guide, work your way up in 3 grain increments 3 shot groups. Bet your back on track with two groups.

However, if you want to spend 300 bucks. I will have a slew of projectiles up for sale here shortly. Thor, Hornday x4, Traditions, & Bear Creek. Partials packs are all on my bench from testing. Finding a elk load for this Muzzy has been challenging. I’ve shot a entire bottle of 209 and still need to finalize the top 3 contenders.
What brand is it?

It’s a CVA accura V2 but I’m not sure what that has to do with the volume / weight difference I found measuring it out.
I don't know if it'll matter but I'm running an accurate too,and 110 volume77 weighted grains with a 300 grain projectile gets me palm sized groups at 300 yards. Of course that's the old powder.

For what it's worth of course

I don't know if it'll matter but I'm running an accurate too,and 110 volume77 weighted grains with a 300 grain projectile gets me palm sized groups at 300 yards. Of course that's the old powder.

For what it's worth of course
That was my sweet spot too, for a XTP Mag deer load. With the powder changes and a Elk tag this fall, it is not anymore.

Shot today and found the 290g Hornday Bore drivers to be pretty darn good and very nice to load.

Unfortunately, the .135 BC has them falling off fast at 200. I am going to try and catch one to make sure they are still expanding properly at that low velocity.

Thor 300g shine as well and are a bit faster just not quite as good of a group. I need another range day to finalize testing.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back