Black Hills Turkey

dcopas78

I have always wanted to hunt turkey in the SD Black Hills but haven't since typically I am doing an early summer vacation with the wife and kids in June and two trips back to back are hard to swing. My wife, being a teacher, doesn't get out of school until May 22nd (next year 2020). I realized that the SD season is in until the end of May just recently and I asked her if she would be interested in hunting merriams and it was an immediate "heck yeah!". My question is, has anybody had any luck that last week of season? I'm use to henned-up, non-gobbling, tough turkey hunting around here. The terrain will definitely be different but I'll have to use it to my advantage. I think we'll make a family trip out of it. Maybe do some fishing and exploring with the kids as well. Any input appreciated!

Regardless of what the turkeys are doing, you are going to have an awesome trip. I think the last week is perfect because there is less chance of bad weather. I did it a few years ago at the very end of April and we hit a snowstorm. PM me and I'll let you know where we found birds.

I’ve been there the first week of May and they were fired up. I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt the last week. I’ve heard many people say they would hunt them in June if they could.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back