Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Black Friday (doe) Shopping

TOGIE

Had to go do a little Black Friday shopping.

4th season rifle started the day before thanksgiving and I still have a doe tag.

My bro tagged along, he’s never even been hunting before. I figured we’d keep it easy: find a forest service road, walk about a 1/4 mile, glass a large hillside, he’d take some landscape photography, and we’d kinda just hang out doing that the whole weekend.

2 dudes were in the glassing spot as soon as we walked up. The hunter had a buck tag. Having a doe tag we decided to just team up “yeah man pull up a chair” he says.

I spot 7 does on the hillside, wait 8. There’s gotta be a buck in there. I tell the other hunter with a buck tag if we just watch these does for another hour or two a buck is sure to show up. He was here first, I’m not gonna go blow out this hillside shooting a doe. Fifteen minutes later he looks back at me, “wanna go?”

Yeah I really do. We pack up and start moving. My brother and his buddy stay high to keep eyes on the deer for us.

This is no small stalk. We have to drop nearly 1000 feet to start up the opposing hillside. 3/4 of the way down we’re close enough to become sure there is no buck. He encourages me to go ahead take a doe. Plus, I am the one who spotted the deer first he reminds me.

I hesitate, I don’t wanna mess this area up, in my mind a buck will still surely show up. But he says go for it. We stack packs, I lay on the steep hillside, steady and fire off a round at the biggest doe that gave me a broadside. Down she goes.

During the stalk. Deer circled in red.

7EEBBE24-3E60-4D1E-AD72-CEE2D6268677.jpeg

It’s a very steep climb to get up to here. He helps me cut her up quick and takes roughly half the load. We get to know each other a bit more during the processing. Super nice guy. We’re both adult onset hunters.

7DEBEA79-57EC-4186-A35D-34A5BEAE5FA9.jpeg
4400DA88-1E9F-40EE-9510-A4F2DC706139.jpeg

Only about a mile but a 1000 feet back up to the truck. “Dang, all this work for a doe?” I keep asking myself. That long run my wife and I did pre thanksgiving dinner is not feeling so great right now.

Full track and time of stalk, processing, and pack out.

Again all this for a doe? Heck yeah!! I think….

59E8D485-AD01-4CF6-BFC4-0D4515B53F0F.jpeg

We get back to the truck and exchange numbers. I owe this guy some meat once I’m done processing.

Both my deer tags are filled. My 2021 season is officially over.

Black Friday well spent.

Last edited:
Had to go do a little Black Friday shopping.

4th season rifle started the day before thanksgiving and I still have a doe tag.

My bro tagged along, he’s never even been hunting before. I figured we’d keep it easy: find a forest service road, walk about a 1/4 mile, glass a large hillside, he’d take some landscape photography, and we’d kinda just hang out doing that the whole weekend.

2 dudes were in the glassing spot as soon as we walked up. The hunter had a buck tag. Having a doe tag we decided to just team up “yeah man pull up a chair” he says.

I spot 7 does on the hillside, wait 8. There’s gotta be a buck in there. I tell the other hunter with a buck tag if we just watch these does for another hour or two a buck is sure to show up. He was here first, I’m not gonna go blow out this hillside shooting a doe. Fifteen minutes later he looks back at me, “wanna go?”

Yeah I really do. We pack up and start moving. My brother and his buddy stay high to keep eyes on the deer for us.

This is no small stalk. We have to drop nearly 1000 feet to start up the opposing hillside. 3/4 of the way down we’re close enough to become sure there is no buck. He encourages me to go ahead take a doe. Plus, I am the one who spotted the deer first he reminds me.

I hesitate, I don’t wanna mess this area up, in my mind a buck will still surely show up. But he says go for it. We stack packs, I lay on the steep hillside, steady and fire off a round at the biggest doe that gave me a broadside. Down she goes.

During the stalk. Deer circled in red.

View attachment 203245

It’s a very steep climb to get up to here. He helps me cut her up quick and takes roughly half the load. We get to know each other a bit more during the processing. Super nice guy. We’re both adult onset hunters.

View attachment 203246
View attachment 203247

Only about a mile and a 1000 feet back up to the truck. “Dang, all this work for a doe?” I keep asking myself. That long run my wife and I did pre thanksgiving dinner is not feeling so great right now.

Full track of stalk and pack out.

Again all this for a doe?

View attachment 203249

We get back to the truck and exchange numbers. I owe this guy some meat once I’m done processing.

Both my deer tags are filled. My 2021 season is officially over.

Black Friday well spent.
That’s the best way to spend Black Friday, the only way in my opinion!

What was that app you used to track your stalk?

That’s the best way to spend Black Friday, the only way in my opinion!

What was that app you used to track your stalk?

That’s just using onX. Overall pretty good tracking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back