PEAX Equipment

Black Diamond Speaks up on Public Lands

Good to see another industry speaking up about this. Skiing industry is huge in the West.

I saw the same think on KSL.com, but was really depressed reading the comments. Normally, I dont let comments get me down because it is a handful of people with nothing better to do than sit in front of their computer and pick fights, but I was amazed by the number of people that are so confused on this issue and will not even consider that they are hurting themselves. If it wasnt for the FS and BLM limiting access every square inch of this land would be covered with ATV trails.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=42833101&nid=148

I was happy to see Black Diamond make a stand, but that show has been trying to pull out for some time. If SFW had any testicular fortitude they would try to make a similar stink, but I think we all know where their bread is buttered.

Nice to see the issue being brought to the attention of more folks. Hopefully they take the time to educate themselves about what it actually entails and how devastating it would be to outdoor recreation. We need all the soldiers in this battle that we can find.

"Black Diamond co-founder calls on outdoor trade show to leave Utah over public lands stance"

And which state is deserving of playing host if it leaves Utah?

I would love to see this gain momentum. Does the outdoor industry have any lobbying power? If not they need some. If they do now would be the time to double down!

"Black Diamond co-founder calls on outdoor trade show to leave Utah over public lands stance"

Wyoming.

Governor Mead has formally opposed public lands transfer and appointed an outdoor recreation task force to look into ways to increase the economy around outdoor recreation. Was on the phone with Governor Mead a few days ago, have a face-to-face in early February...might be worth mentioning it to him.

Seems like a great chance for OR to move to the Cowboy State....

Last edited:
Wyoming.

Governor Mead has formally opposed public lands transfer and appointed an outdoor recreation task force to look into ways to increase the economy around outdoor recreation. Was on the phone with Governor Mead a few days ago, have a face-to-face in early February...might be worth mentioning it to him.

Seems like a great chance for OR to move to the Cowboy State....

Good Luck with Sir!
maybe have a little face to face with Sen. Larry Hicks

These companies have a huge chance to speak up for public lands and I hope they follow through and move out of Utah. They all have very large customer bases that we need on our side to keep it public.

With these companies starting to speak up, I wonder if there is another approach that could be taken. I remember recently reading that outdoor spending is going to be added into the calculations for GDP. I'd be interested in seeing some numbers as to how changes in public land policy would potentially change the GDP. Frankly, the pols worship that dollar. Maybe being able to show the money would help the argument.

I've got to think that maybe getting companies to speak out is our best bet for publicity.
I can't believe we don't have the co-op's releasing statements.

I would think Seattle or Spokane could host the show in WA.

Portland for certain, not sure about Bend in Oregon.

San Diego, SF, LA in Calif

Phoenix in AZ

Vegas and Reno in NV, subject to NV's latest attitude.

I would give respect if that industry put forth something like the Pittman-Robertson Act to establish funding for public lands. Sportsman pay our share; shouldn't the nonconsumptive crowd?

I would give respect if that industry put forth something like the Pittman-Robertson Act to establish funding for public lands. Sportsman pay our share; shouldn't the nonconsumptive crowd?

Agreed they should come up with something; that said in this political environment why should they try to start something when the controlling party wants to get rid of the public land?

I would think Seattle or Spokane could host the show in WA.

Portland for certain, not sure about Bend in Oregon.

San Diego, SF, LA in Calif

Phoenix in AZ

Vegas and Reno in NV, subject to NV's latest attitude.

So CA, NV and AZ all support keeping Federal lands under Federal control? I really don't know enough about it, but I'm surprised to see California on the list.

Last edited:
Speaking in generalities, some of them may hang their hat on the word "non-consumptive" but they are not dumb enough to stop there. They will combine it with a more important point, in that they have been voting on the right side of everything to do with public lands all along, while contributing to and voting for the politicians who are like minded, as well as dumping a metric shit ton of their money into their organizations who have likewise been lobbying, suing and fighting for public lands all along.

To the extent they have failed in this recent or any past election cycle, they probably, rightly think it's not their fault. Rather, it's all those consumptive types who continue to vote for the party of PLT and have failed to reign in "their" politicians.

If they've made any mistakes it would be the hugging of trees, suing the government, wearing of Birkenstocks, dreadlocks, or failing to shop at Cabelas, carry a gun, wear orange, drive a truck and otherwise look consumptive. All sins which outweigh any good they, their Party and their organizations have done to protect public lands from sale and abuse.

Any recent effort to step up which happens to catch the grateful eye of consumptive types is just a doubling down on what they've been doing for ever.

I think those who look around wondering where these people have been must be living in a bubble. They've been all over this shit for eons, they've just been doing it in a fashion so alien and unthinkable that it goes un-noticed, to say nothing of un-appreciated. They might argue that they have done more and we are the Johnny come latelys.

But this is not time to argue. We must welcome these people for finally getting around to helping us.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back