Black Camo Clothing for Western Deer/Big Game Hunting

Mustangs Rule

One my most effective camo clothing for big game hunting in the west is a baggy black suit I bought cheap at thrift shop and I wear it with a huge bright hunter orange “tie”.

Most of us have seen images of Native Americans crawling around while hunting wearing an animal skin. As they get closer they keep imitating the movements of a grazing animal and of course they mind the wind.

It occurred to me one time, that over so much of the west on public land, sadly, even in dedicated wilderness, during hunting season, there are black Angus cattle present. The game animals have just gotten used to them

My formula is real simple. Spot some game animals from a distance. Get as close as I can without being seen, then pull out from my pack the baggy black jacket and trousers. I tie my pack under my belly, put on some knee pads and a black ski mask. Then I just crawl right out into the open on all fours, lifting and lowering my head until I get within that couple hundred yard range and fire.

And just in case some long range yahoo might mistake me for a bear. I wrap a big piece of florescent orange material around my neck.

It’s so easy and works so well.

Just forget about those pesky hunter orange rules I guess.

In theory sounds good, until you get shot by someone thinking you're an attacking wolf.

Deer season opens tomorrow for me. Because of huge wildfires and road closings I cannot go where I would normally.

Where I will go has black angus cattle still grazing on national forest land.

I prefer to be in places with no cattle of course.

Usually, I get my hunting clothes at thrift stores. Old wool pants, plaid shirts, Scottish tweed jackets etc.

A few years a ago I bought this XL Field and Stream thick flannel shirt colored the darkest almost black Navy blue.

I'll be prepared to use that tomorrow, with some fabric from and old hunter orange vest clearly visible too,

Also some black wool pants.

I can't imagine wearing black in the intense Wyoming sun. I would cook!
Best of luck to ya though. Let us know if it works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back