Caribou Gear

Black bears in the Bighorns.

BTripp86

So I struck out on drawing Wyoming elk and antelope this year. My neighbor/good friend drew a region Y deer tag however. My original plan was to go with him, help scout, pack meat if he got lucky etc. The other day he suggested I look into getting a black bear tag if I wanted to hunt something since he'd read tags were OTC. After doing a little research it appears the bear units that make up the unit he plans to deer hunt have a fairly low quota of fall sows allowed. This areas deer season running the last two weeks of Oct has me wondering if the quotas will be met or close to being met by the time we're deer hunting. So I guess what I'm asking, is would any of y'all consider picking up a bear tag if you were in my shoes? If the tag were cheaper it wouldn't be a big deal to risk I guess, but I suppose I could just wait and check the quota situation once we get ready to take off. My other question is how active are black bears in the northern Bighorns in late October? I'm completely green to bear hunting, wasn't sure if they'd be out and about feeding still or getting ready to den up already etc. Guessing that mainly depends on the weather?? Anyway, any suggestion I'm all ears.

I do not think there is a chance that the season will still be open on the October 15th. The bear activity by then has slowed down. Berries have all dried up, making carrion the top of the list for available food. A guy can get lucky and find a few just out travelling, but it is more difficult in my opinion.

UPDATE to what I mentioned below: You don't need to call the Wildlife Biologist in the Sheridan G&F office because I did and I was told the fall Black Bear season in the northern Bighorns typically closes by mid-September and can close as early as Labor Day weekend.

The first thing I would do is call the Wyoming Game and Fish Dept. Sheridan Regional Office and talk to the Game Biologist. He should be able to tell you when the fall black bear season has closed the last few years.

With that information you can then decide if getting a bear license would be worth your while.

ClearCreek

Last edited:
In my experience it closes pretty quick. I'm guessing there are a lot of guides/DIY hunters with bait stations. Typically the quota is filled pretty rapidly. I've never hunted them on the big horns because it closes so early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back