Black Bear, spring or fall?

Kyhunter42

I’m starting to plan an Alaskan Hunt for next season and I would like some input. I hunted spring black bear in PWS in 2008 and I’m not sure whether to stick with spring bear or go for a fall hunt. I had bounced around the ideal of doing a fall bear/deer hunt. I guess my question is which is better hunting spring or fall bears? How doable is it to combine both fall bear and deer?
The plan would be to take my buddy’s boat and skiff and either utilize a cabin or set up a beach camp. We plan on 1 day out, 5 days of hunting, and 1 day back. We are flexible with dates and we plan accordingly for the weather.

Spring hunts are more weather dependent than a fall hunt and snow might be a problem, that would be my biggest worry. If it were me, I would probably go with a fall hunt and combine it with deer but i'd also think about stretching the hunt out a few more days too if I did the fall hunt. If you want to get a bear for the table then I would go with a spring hunt.

that is a great question. I am planning the same hunt but for kuiu island in 2014 and undecieded as to fall or spring. some say the salmon runs in the fall can be great hunts. but to me bear should be a spring hunt and i like the fact they are spread out on the beaches. I went to whitter on a boat hunt in 2010 and it was a awesome experience but never got within bow range.

I'd love to stretch it out for a longer time, but its not completely up to me. I don't think the guys in the group can get that much time off work. I did a spring hunt in 08 and we had a great time. All four of us took bears. I was just trying to get the most bang for my buck. I was figuring time off work was cheap and easy compared to the cost of getting to AK. That is why I was thinking about a fall deer hunt combined with the bear.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heddenbk
Back