MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Black Bear Hunting

DaleT

My buddy and I are thinking about going black bear hunting if the draw doesn't work out this year. We are looking at Canada guided, but I am thinking that Alaska could be a prime candidate because there are tons of black bears there, and they don't seem to be very heavily hunted.

When I was there 10 years ago, the people I worked with acted like you didn't need to leave camp to kill a big black bear.

What are your thoughts on this??????

It seems like you should be able to fly to Anchorage, do a short little hop on a float plane out of Anchorage and hunt a salmon stream and kill a monster black bear.

I would think you could do this cheaper than Canada guided and get better scenery and fishing.

Dale. Sask. has Big black bear. Casey could hook you up on a Hunt. I think the Hunt runs around 2k.

They also make it sound like AK is full of Moose/wolves too. But only around 4% get a Wolf and less then 10% get a Moose.

Becarefull from the Stories you hear :D

BTW, Ovis and Gunner are gonig to do a Bear hunt in POW. Self guided deal. They will both get Brusers I'm sure and Will share the knowlege when They get back. HAng tough for an Update from them...... (Just a thought)

I'd suspect highest success, best bargain for black bear would be Manitoba, Alberta, BC or Saskatchewan, depending on whatever you live closest too.

Not saying Alaska is a bad idea, but you'll have an expensive commercial flight and bush flight.

In my mind, black bear is a good secondary species to pick up in AK while hunting for something else. If I was going strictly black bear, definitely Canada.

Thanks for the input. It seams like Canada does have the highest success rates of any place we have looked at.

I would think you could do this cheaper than Canada guided and get better scenery and fishing.
...and it would be more of an adventure than sitting over somebody elses bait station. Just how scenic is that after a couple hours?

I suggest you jump on the Prince of Wales Island hunting bandwagon while the huntings still good.

Can some one tell me what it cost to fly from Anchorage to Prince of Wales and the basic costs of a do it yourself type of trip in that area.

I have read a little about this, and I guess we would try to do a self guided deal, because the outfitters I saw were pretty pricy.

Thanks, Dale

Dale,

I don't have the airfare costs handy. Try Alaska Air's website. But, if going to POW, there's no reason to fly to Anchorage. Fly straight to Ketchikan from Sea-Tac. Then hop a charter flight to Kalwock/Craig, wait till 3:00AM the next morning, and you can hunt.

If you have a nice camper or truck, you can take the Alaska Marine Highway (ferry) from Bellingham, Wa to Ketchikan, the another ferry to Hollis, POW Island.

Good luck!

Just a point of clarification of the fly no hunt same day rule. If you happen to fly in on a scheduled flight there is no waiting period. The rule applies to chartered flights.

Back