Black bear hunt possibly Colorado

wayner

Hi everyone I am looking for some advice to get me searching I am looking to a DIY hunt for black bear in the archery season after having an amazing time in Vermont searching for a black bear with a bow and finding one to almost getting my first I am wanting to come back and try again, while it's not till next year I have time to start planning and looking into areas. I am totally new to your tag system being from the uk i need a little guidance. If i pick Colorado for instance are all areas a draw tag then if not all taken it goes to OTC?. I have found the Colorado hunting atlas to look at areas just trying to get my head around tags and draws, if areas are even possible to put in and be successful in drawing for the first time or if its a case of trying to get an otc tag.
I feel going to an area to be able to actually see and glass areas before stalking in will help as Vermont was thick trees in the area i was in, I found the beech mast and sign and even stalked into 30 yards on my first bear till the wind switched and he was away, a great encounter leaving me wanting more and hopefully more chances to see bears or any other game, any advise anyone can give me on my journey will be greatly received, I am not looking for secret spots just a little guidance on tags,many regards wayne

Hi everyone I am looking for some advice to get me searching I am looking to a DIY hunt for black bear in the archery season after having an amazing time in Vermont searching for a black bear with a bow and finding one to almost getting my first I am wanting to come back and try again, while it's not till next year I have time to start planning and looking into areas. I am totally new to your tag system being from the uk i need a little guidance. If i pick Colorado for instance are all areas a draw tag then if not all taken it goes to OTC?. I have found the Colorado hunting atlas to look at areas just trying to get my head around tags and draws, if areas are even possible to put in and be successful in drawing for the first time or if its a case of trying to get an otc tag.
I feel going to an area to be able to actually see and glass areas before stalking in will help as Vermont was thick trees in the area i was in, I found the beech mast and sign and even stalked into 30 yards on my first bear till the wind switched and he was away, a great encounter leaving me wanting more and hopefully more chances to see bears or any other game, any advise anyone can give me on my journey will be greatly received, I am not looking for secret spots just a little guidance on tags,many regards wayne

What is your goal? To get a bear with a bow or just to get a bear, assuming you want to go unguided DIY?

I would concentrate on spring bear rather than fall. Colorado doesn't have a spring season, so you would be looking at WY, MT, and ID. AK has spring bear as well but for you as a NR alien it would have to be guided.

To your questions about CO:

Colorado has a super complicated system for bears, but here are the broad strokes. You would apply for whats called a limited rifle tag (season sept 2-30) in the spring (typically apps are due the first Tuesday in April.
Most units in Colorado are 100% draw odds for bear, meaning you will get the tag every year you apply.
If you want to use a bow, you can, just just have to wear blaze orange while hunting.

Fall hunting can be a bit difficult as bears are typically lower in elevation in the thick stuff, spring is typically easier as they are up high in the mts and more exposed.

Thanks for your reply, I am only interested in hunting with the bow, i understand how hard this will be and to make it harder I am really only looking at unguided DIY, so any insight will be great,regards wayne

Thanks for your reply, I am only interested in hunting with the bow, i understand how hard this will be and to make it harder I am really only looking at unguided DIY, so any insight will be great,regards wayne

I'd look at spring bear in ID, then in Montana, then in WY (WY third because you can't hunt a bunch of the state without a guide as a NR, although there are some spots you can)

Spring seasons, are rifle (meaning any weapon) so you can use a bow.

There are plenty of bears to hunt in CO and I encourage you to do so. I don't know how it compares to other states, but CPW is practically begging people to hunt them!

It’s the whole experience really but I do want to hunt black bear, I don’t want to just have a tag whilst looking for something else, I am looking at trying to hunt one species, regards Wayne
I understand, but I spend alot of time in the mountains here and I don't see them consistently enough to justify a trip just for a bear. Plus when the fall seasons happen you're going to be dealing with OTC seasons that are open, which equals a lot of people. From your original post, I take it you are looking for a quality experience. I think you are more likely to have that in another state with a spring season, like mentioned above.

Either way, CPW would love to have your money and have you kill one. The Grand Mesa or Uncompahgre units are where I see the most. 42, 421, 521, or 61/62, are where I'd go if I cared to shoot one. You must recover all meat in Colorado. Good luck.

I understand, but I spend alot of time in the mountains here and I don't see them consistently enough to justify a trip just for a bear. Plus when the fall seasons happen you're going to be dealing with OTC seasons that are open, which equals a lot of people. From your original post, I take it you are looking for a quality experience. I think you are more likely to have that in another state with a spring season, like mentioned above.

Either way, CPW would love to have your money and have you kill one. The Grand Mesa or Uncompahgre units are where I see the most. 42, 421, 521, or 61/62, are where I'd go if I cared to shoot one. You must recover all meat in Colorado. Good luck.
Thanks for the clarification I understand now what you are saying, I also fully understand about recovery and this is only correct, I wouldn't shoot something to waste, lots of research to do thanks again for everyone's input, regards wayne

If you do end up going to CO for bear, you can get over the counter archery elk and pronghorn tags. If you do have time you have very cool options.

Don't over look Arkansas for bear. Last time I hunted down there it was around 300 $ for a licence, 4 deer tags and one bear tag.. some units do have caps which the hit pretty fast.. it's a fall season.

Don't over look Arkansas for bear. Last time I hunted down there it was around 300 $ for a licence, 4 deer tags and one bear tag.. some units do have caps which the hit pretty fast.. it's a fall season.
Thanks for that, I have lots of research to do now thanks again, wayne

Wayner - I believe Pennsylvania just initiated a statewide archery season for bears this year. This would likely be one of your closest and least expensive options for travel and licences, and there are more bears on public land in PA than most other places, and larger ones at that. It might not be the rocky mountains, but there are areas with plenty of elbow room.

Wayner - I believe Pennsylvania just initiated a statewide archery season for bears this year. This would likely be one of your closest and least expensive options for travel and licences, and there are more bears on public land in PA than most other places, and larger ones at that. It might not be the rocky mountains, but there are areas with plenty of elbow room.
Thanks Bullshot, I did start looking at Pennsylvania after a google search of bear numbers, they certainly look big after going on the fish and game website, Georgia looks promising as well from a few searches, thanks again for the help,regards wayne

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back