PEAX Equipment

Bison to Illinois?

1_pointer

Seems like Illinois may be getting some bison. I've been thinking the last couple of years of trying to hunt this specific Natl. Grassland. Wonder how this will impact hunting opportunities?

I find the last sentence very interesting, as soil compaction is generally seen as a negative impact from grazing, yet now the USFS is saying it's a good thing!
Today, roughly half-a-million bison dot the nation’s landscape, a far cry from the more than 20 to 30 million that once roamed much of North America.

And while they have not been part of the Forest Service’s Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie ecosystem for more than a century, the habitat here will soon be home for 20 to 30 of the animals, perhaps as early as December 2013.

The Midewin, the first national tallgrass prairie, covers 19,000 acres of the former Joliet Arsenal in northeastern Illinois. It is the largest piece of contiguous open space in the Chicago metropolitan area and is located just an hour’s drive from the Windy City.

“Establishing a herd of bison on Midewin will bring more visitors to the site to view these iconic symbols of our heritage,” said Wade Spang, supervisor on the Midewin.

It will also help enhance the local economy along the nearby historic U.S. Route 66.

Along with the bison herd, the proposal will also restore 1,200 acres of non-native grasslands to more desirable habitat for grassland birds by planting a diversity of native tallgrass species such as little bluestem, Indian grass and big bluestem.

Renee Thakali, Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie Restoration team leader, chats with a local child about the bison and the benefits they would bring to the prairie. (Leah Anderson/U.S. Forest Service photo)

The proposal also lays out a system of multi-use trails with elevated overlooks that will surround the bison pasture. Hiking trails will be within portions of it and only opened for trail use when bison are not present. Long-term plans include a visitor tram system that travels within the pastures.

“Scientific literature frequently refers to bison as a keystone species in the tallgrass prairie ecosystem,” said Spang. “This is a great opportunity for partners, especially universities who are interested in studying the effect of bison grazing when restoring grassland bird habitat.”

Keystone species have a disproportionately large effect on their environment. Bison have a couple of effects on prairie ecosystems as they graze and wallow. When they graze, their pattern is patchy, leaving a mosaic of grass heights and plant species, which benefits plant and animal diversity. In addition, grazing increases the cycling of nitrogen in the soil. As they wallow, bison increase plant and animal diversity. Soil compaction can aid in surface water retention as well, thereby providing habitat for aquatic species.

http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/04/17/forest-service-prairie-may-see-bison-again/

Last edited:
I have been hunting Midewin since it reopened in 2004. Took 140" & 130" bucks the first 2 years, but it went downhill very fast after that. Very open ground and way, way more hunters. They used to restrict access to just one point and you had to ride a bike in there. No longer. Additional access drew hundreds of hunters and it's a hunting wasteland these days. The bison have been on the boards for years. That will close off an enormous percentage of huntable area. The good old days are long gone there. The last few times I hunted it I saw zero deer.

That sucks. Ever since reading about the place a few years back I've wanted to give it a try, but looks like I waited too long... Looks like I need to look elsewhere to try to tag a buck in Illinois.

This Illinois bison reintroduction has me thinking: The bison controversy in Montana is simply a diversionary tactic. The big boys behind U.N. Agenda 21 are sneaking some bison an hour away from the Chicago Board of Trade while all eyes are on Northeastern Montana. They know that bison reproduce like rabbits and there isn't a fence made that will hold them. Obviously, they want to take over the entire Chicagoland area and relocate the human population to some of them internment camps I've been reading about. All the while, bison will be roaming up and down Lakeshore Drive, spreading brucellosis.
Once this herd migrates into Wisconsin, Dairyland is in trouble. There'll be a lot of hybrid Holstein/bison that will prove to be difficult to hold in milking stanchions.
Any thoughts?

When cattle loaf around it's called "compaction", when bison do it it's called "hoof action". :)

1 pointer, Where in Indiana you live? I grew up in Valparaiso and lived 20 years in Crown Point. In fact I used to drive to Midewin from IN back in 04 & 05. I know all of Midewin very well, that is why I don't hunt it anymore. You can try, but you got a little better chance at nearby JTA, where you must qualify for an archery permit via proficiency test June 1st. They screen out some of the riff raff.

Midewin is appealing to some guys due to a large forbidden zone next to the huntable, and many poach in there. But the CO's patrol with night vision gear. It's just become a circus. You can get lucky there, but there are better options any more.

When cattle loaf around it's called "compaction", when bison do it it's called "hoof action". :)
That is comedy!! Thanks for that.

Zim- I live on the NE side of Indianapolis. Thanks for the heads up on Midwein and for the suggestion. Though it may be a few years, but I'm planning on trying to get a deer out of IL sometime. Driving to just about anyplace in the northern 1/2 of the state wouldn't be a problem for me.

Though I've only researched it some and didn't come up with much, but have you heard of Clinton Lake? IIRC it's a power plant property that has some limited hunting and has produced some big deer. Again, I think I read that's where Stan Potts got one of his first biggun's in North American Whitetail. Have you heard of that place or have I been dreaming of Stan Potts too much?

Clinton

1 pointer,

I met Stan Potts at a Chicago Sportsman's Show at Rosemont back in 1990 or something. He was hunting a small inholding inside the Clinton power plant back then when he took some booners. Lost access since. I applied for that plant a few times but then they stopped allowing the public. I did pick up a few sheds there.

Big advice to you is take advantage of your location in Indy and hunt central or southern Illinois instead if you want to go there. All the northern 1/3rd public gets hammered by Chicagoans. Stay away! Even east central IL is much better. Or just get a good lease in Indiana because it's the best kept secret in P&Y/B&C increases sine the OBR was implemented. Just need good private.

Did you hunt Fort Harrison when they opened? A buddy and me drew out there and saw many pigs. Just walked up on P&Y bucks in an open field to within 30 yards! I shot a 120 buck on that short hunt I think 3 days. We actually went and got bowhunter education cards to get preference on that hunt. PM me if you want more suggestions.

Ken

I live about 20mins from Fort Harrison, but haven't drawn. I'll keep trying though. I realize there is good deer hunting in IN and I do have some private I own for hunting. While I've not killed anything 'big' I know they're out there and I've had some close calls. I agree, the OBR has worked in IN for more good sized bucks. Just want to kill a deer in IL as well as all other states. ;)

Thanks for the info though. Since moving back to IN, I've been meaning to visit the Shawnee NF, especially Garden of the Gods. May just have to do it during bow season...

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back