MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bison Hunt, UT

gonhunting247

If anyone would be willing to visit a little via PM about UT bison in the Book Cliffs, I would be very grateful. I put my brother in for this tag and somehow he was the lucky one chosen. We have spent some time in the area on 2 different elk hunts, but are total rookies at this bison adventure. Thanks in advance for any advice or knowledge you'd be willing to share.

Does anyone have any contacts that have hunted this hunt or any other bison hunt in UT? Just curious about the timing of the hunt versus the real late ones.

If are a member of Huntin’ Fool then you can request a list of prior members who had contacted them when they drew the same tag. Is worth a year’s subscription to some hunters that are holding a hard-to-draw tag. I do find is easier to gather intel on tags which prior tag holders are unlikely to draw again anytime soon. I also find non-residents are more likely to share info more freely and in greater detail so I start with the out-of-staters.

If anyone would be willing to visit a little via PM about UT bison in the Book Cliffs, I would be very grateful. I put my brother in for this tag and somehow he was the lucky one chosen. We have spent some time in the area on 2 different elk hunts, but are total rookies at this bison adventure. Thanks in advance for any advice or knowledge you'd be willing to share.
Which hunt does your brother have? Bitter Creek? Little Creek? Any weapon, Any bison?

I've got the late any weapon, any bison for the Book Cliffs South/Little Creek this year. Epic Outdoors and Huntin' Fool both have member hunt lists if you're a member with one of them or your brother is.

If are a member of Huntin’ Fool then you can request a list of prior members who had contacted them when they drew the same tag. Is worth a year’s subscription to some hunters that are holding a hard-to-draw tag. I do find is easier to gather intel on tags which prior tag holders are unlikely to draw again anytime soon. I also find non-residents are more likely to share info more freely and in greater detail so I start with the out-of-staters.
Which hunt does your brother have? Bitter Creek? Little Creek? Any weapon, Any bison?

I've got the late any weapon, any bison for the Book Cliffs South/Little Creek this year. Epic Outdoors and Huntin' Fool both have member hunt lists if you're a member with one of them or your brother is.
yep, I am a member, but hadn't ask about a list since it's my brothers(not a member) tag and not mine.
He has the Bitter Creek any Bison tag.
Yes most people will share a little knowledge on the OIL hunts for sure, but I never blame anyone if they'd rather not. I get it :)
I have made some great friends through hunting and helping others. PM's are great if anyone has time or desire to visit.
Thank you both for the replies!
YoungGun; Congrats on the tag and hope you have a blast. That is the old unit they called the roadless correct? feel free to give me a shout out about the earlier hunt. We may have some helpful info, who knows.

That's correct- it includes the Book Cliffs/South as well. PM sent with some other contacts for your brother's hunt. Keep us in the loop how it goes!

Well we struggled to locate a Bull (or any bison actually) for 3 days before season, but got lucky the evening of opening day and my brother made good on the opportunity. Pretty crazy how such big critters can disappear so good. I feel pretty lucky to have had a chance to help on this hunt. We lucked out and had an easy retrieval also!
It was very cool to get to experience a hunt for one of the iconic animals of the west.
This once in a lifetime hunt came as a total surprise and even though I'd been to this area twice on elk hunts, until we located the herd the bull came from, we had never even seen a bison there!
To any one that shared knowledge of bison or the area on here, by PM or elsewhere, I sincerely appreciate it!
In the pic we are missing the 4th person in party, as he took this pic, It was a great adventure with my brother and I, as well as, our BIL and his brother. Luckily we got home in time for the end of deer season. I really look forward to hunting blacktails in the brush of the Northwest :)20231007_184153.jpg

Well we struggled to locate a Bull (or any bison actually) for 3 days before season, but got lucky the evening of opening day and my brother made good on the opportunity. Pretty crazy how such big critters can disappear so good. I feel pretty lucky to have had a chance to help on this hunt. We lucked out and had an easy retrieval also!
It was very cool to get to experience a hunt for one of the iconic animals of the west.
This once in a lifetime hunt came as a total surprise and even though I'd been to this area twice on elk hunts, until we located the herd the bull came from, we had never even seen a bison there!
To any one that shared knowledge of bison or the area on here, by PM or elsewhere, I sincerely appreciate it!
In the pic we are missing the 4th person in party, as he took this pic, It was a great adventure with my brother and I, as well as, our BIL and his brother. Luckily we got home in time for the end of deer season. I really look forward to hunting blacktails in the brush of the Northwest :)View attachment 297195

We were incredibly lucky. He folded up right on an old two track that crossed a sage flat. We walked it out until it hit the road and was able to drive it right close. It happened to be my brother's birthday also, so we decided that must have been another part of a nice birthday present :)! With saving the cape and the robe, plus removing quarters and the rest of the meat, we still weren't back and done hanging meat until after 1 AM. We were all prepared for a tough long pack, but were pleasantly surprised!
That morning after a bit of sleep I caped the head the rest of the way out and we started rotating meat through the freezer.
We got home with an incredible amount of meat and an awesome skull, cape and hide!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back