Bird hatches in ID, NV?

T Bone

Any early numbers coming in on chukar? I hear it's been a wet spring in So Idaho and Northern NV.

Here in SD, I havn't seen any chicks yet, but conditions have been ideal. I'm hoping for another banner year.

Saw a group of turkey poults the other day and there were about 15 with just one hen, a pretty impressive hatch. They were flying already. I also saw a hen pheasant the same day with about 10 chicks. I'm in north Idaho and we've been fairly wet this year, almost an inch above normal, but so far hatches are looking good.

I haven't heard yet, but will be spending two weeks at the end of the month near the ID, NV, UT border for work and will relate what I see. The rains we got last week will help LOTS.

Tbone,
BKillin & I drove to Owyhee Res early Saturday morning and fished the lake til 7 pm, saw many,many quail and chukar driving to, and on the bank while fishing. Saw zero broods, saw several groups of 6-10 adult birds, even heard a rooster pheasant crowing bout 40 miles south of the dam in the middle of nowhere.
We fish a tourney at Owyhee this Saturday so I'll pass on any sightings.
With decent carry over and a relatively normal winter I think we should be in for a nice bird season again.
WD

I'm seeing small (4-6) broods of chukar chicks and about the same size broods of quail chicks. I'd say only about half the quail pairs of adults I see have chicks with them. All of my sightings are in SW ID.

A little more from north ID, I have yet to see any chukar chicks up here yet, although work has been keeping me up high out of chukar country. I have yet to see any quail chicks. Pheasants are starting to show up more and more. Lots of the ag fields around are real tall yet so there is lots of hiding cover for the young ones. Harvest is just kind of starting here so as fields are cut I'm sure bird sighting will be going up. I'm holding out hope that there are more young birds out there than what I'm seeing.

Brownlee Res 7/15 multiple chukar broods near the water, varying age and size.
Owyhee County 7/30 multiple,multiple quail broods of varied size and age.
2 chukar broods, 3/4 size 8-10 babies in each.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back