Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bipods, B-Square VS Harris...

DGF

Which one do you recomend and why? Is one any better than the other? I was looking at them today because I plan on putting oneon my H&R Ultra .223 but don't know which one to purchase. The B-Square looked to have less moving parts and costs less, however I mostly see people with the Harris Bipod on their rifles. If I buy the Harris will I be paying for a name rather than a product? Thanks for all help.

The Harris Bipod
SmallHarrisBipod.jpeg

The B-Square Bopod
18b6020hunt.jpg

I'd go with the Harris. I bought one and that did it, I wound up with 2 more. I like the Harris as it has never damaged a stock, can be removed or installed in about 60 seconds if you have a coin or a screwdriver on ya. They now have Pivot models which are particularly handy although a little more expensive are worth it in my opinion.
A buddy of mine bought a b-square and was so mad at it that he threw it in the creek. Any time I ask him about it the only thing he'll say is Awww that F...in thing. (he likes the Harris that he has now). Good luck. ;)WD

So, WD do you suggest that one go with the bipods with the ability to pivot? I think that they would be more practical. I like the look of the B-Square Roto Tilt because it can be adjusted from 9" to 20", so it could be used for shooting prone or sitting. However, I don't like as much now since you said that they kinda suck.

1pointer, for most applications I like the pivoting models best.
The b square rototilt does sound like a handy deal. I still don't know why my buddy didn't like his b square. I've never had one.
I am sure that you know that harris makes them in different models from around 6 inches to as high as I think 28 inches. WD

I bought a Harris that does not pivit, and it is great on semi flat ground. But when I take it to the mountains, I sure wish that I had spent the extra 20 bucks for the kind that is made for unlevel ground. If anyone is trying to set up an antelope gun, I will make you a good deal on it, because I plan on going back and purchasing the one for uneven ground.

I just bought a Caldwell bipod that Midway had on sale this month. It tilts and pivots about 20 degrees. I like it so far, though I've only used it off the bench. I've tried the longer-legged Harris versions from a sitting or kneeling position, and they did not seem steady enough to me so I ended up using them prone or not at all, using something else for a rest if I couldn't shoot prone. So far, the Caldwell seems great and is lighter than the Harris, but the Harris worked fine. I've had no experience with the B-Square.

I purchased the harris. It should be good for me because I plan on shooting low to the ground from the prone position and am shooting from flat areas. Calif, the caldwell I have never seen, and to be honest have never heard of, but then again I don't get out much. I'll have to keep it in mind when I get one for some other types of shooting (big game guns?).

Calif hunter, On the longer Harris Bi pods, when you shoot them from a sitting position, (assuming that you are right handed). From the seated position put your right knee up towards your right shoulder and put the rifle butt on top of it. Then put your right arm around your knee and grasp the pistol grip of the stock and put your finger on the trigger. This is about as solid as it gets with the longer bipods. ;)
WD

Thanks, WD...I'll remember to try that. Kinda sounds like I'm trying to scratch my left ear with my right hand around my right knee? ;) The longer legs still seem flimsy and "flexy" to me. (But better than "offhand," I'm sure.)

I own the fixed and swivel version of the Model 25 Harris. The swivel version is definitely the way to go. I use them only for antelope hunting, mainly because there are few good shooting rests available in most telope country. But also because the bipods add substantial weight and bulk to the rifle. Any projection from my hunting rig grabs every tree branch or brush within 10 yards of my path! My primary reason for not carrying these great inventions on elk treks is that I've yet to shoot an elk when I've had time to sit/lay down, extend the bipod, adjust height, you get the picture. Most of my elk shooting has been quick with barely much opportunity to get the rifle to my shoulder.

Anyway, like a previous post said, spend the extra $20 and buy the swiveling model. By the way, don't mess with the prone versions for hunting. They work great from the bench or elevated prairie dog stand, but the grass and brush (sage) common to most hunting areas that require a bipod do not observe proper growth limits. Their height often requires shooting from the sitting and sometimes kneeling positions to see the game! Don't go cheap with your hunting gear.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back