Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bipod size

feedback

I have a AR 556 MPR rifle and I’m wondering what size bipod do you guys recommend for me to get. I plan on hunting deer, coyotes, target shooting extra., with it. I’ve been looking at Caldwell’s carbon fiber ones and also Harris bipods. But what throws me is they are ranging from 6” to 10”, 9” to 27”, and some shorter and longer and then there’s everything in between them from attaching to the firearm to one’s that don’t. I’m looking for one that attaches to my firearm. Thank you for your time and God Bless.

Depends on what position you prefer to shoot at. Prone or sitting? If prone, I'd go 6-10. I like my 9-27 for sitting shots.

I use Harris for my bipods, but I've only ever attached them to a bolt-action and not an AR platform.

I use a short bipod on my big game rifles since I use my pack as a rest instead(the bipod is more of a kickstand for the gun generally). 6-10 would be my vote since it's less likely to hang up on brush and get in your way. Harris makes great stuff. I use a crappy Firefield knockoff, and I long to steal my wife's Harris.

Do you have a stud, or a piccatiny rail that you are attaching to? If a rail Atlas also makes a ROCK solid option. I have one of those that I swap between my air rifle and my PRS. It's build like a tank and handles weird situations very well. It also has a quick detach function that I find to be very handy in the field.

If your handguard is MLOK, you can get a sling swivel adapter that a Harris and others will attach to on the underside of the guard. I'm sure there are other sling swivel adapters for Keymod and pic rails. I swap mine back and forth from my 308 build to my bolt .270, works well. Leg height will just depend on what position you expect to be shooting from as Boomer said.

Long bipods flex a lot, enough that they’re not really worth it IMO. Pack or tripod for seated shots, and if I need a rock solid setup for a longer prone shot (more than the pack can provide) something in the 8-12 adj range is about right for me. My opinion.

For just hunting I prefer the 13-27". Its a little tall for prone shooting but i use my pack under the rear of the rifle. 27" works for sitting shots. I have a couple of 6-9" but normally just use them for shooting off the bench. Seems they are usually a little short for shots on game, being theres always at least a little grass or brush that close to the ground.

I use a short bipod on my big game rifles since I use my pack as a rest instead(the bipod is more of a kickstand for the gun generally). 6-10 would be my vote since it's less likely to hang up on brush and get in your way. Harris makes great stuff. I use a crappy Firefield knockoff, and I long to steal my wife's Harris.

Do you have a stud, or a piccatiny rail that you are attaching to? If a rail Atlas also makes a ROCK solid option. I have one of those that I swap between my air rifle and my PRS. It's build like a tank and handles weird situations very well. It also has a quick detach function that I find to be very handy in the field.
On my hand guard I have MLok to attach to my hand guard.

Back