Bipod or what?

I just bought a Harris and it's sweet. I don't know about the other brands, but this thing is rock solid (and better be for $100).

Just don't miss a shot dinkin around with a bipod when you can throw a pack down and shoot. mtmuley

I've used bipods in the past, but I preferred to shed the weight. Now I use either my pack for prone shooting, or I also carry a set of shooting sticks that go from 18" to about 48" or so. I have em set so I can use them while sitting. Most of my shots have come from this position. I usually wont take a standing off hand shot. I'd rather have the few extra seconds to set up and kill the animal with one well placed shot and know he or she is down, cleanly and ethically.

I usually us a tall Harris bipod that pivots. You can shoot over lower brush/sagebrush when sitting but can still shoot prone. The pivoting is nice for little sidehills. My thought is that if the game is far enough to need the bipod, you'll probably have time to set up. Last year I used the Primos tall trigger sticks (bipod style). I had a broken collarbone and needed them to use as them as a walking stick. I made a very long left handed shot on my buck with them but i would still rather have a bipod and my hands free. Spend some time at the range (or dry firing) doing some speed drills setting up with the bipod and shooting quick, but be safe. Shooting sticks are better for uphill shots though.

Looking for shooting sticks / bipod that can double as a walking stick, and collapses to about 15" - 17" or so to be carried in a day pack. Anything like that out there? Please advise. Thanks

When I use to live in Pennsylvania and hunted woodchucks often in my granddad's hay fields I pretty much did what Randy describes with my Harris bipod and that made for a solid rest. Later on when I was chasing deer a fair amount in the Dakotas I mostly used shooting sticks. The past few years while chasing caribou on the tundra I just lay across my pack. I'll be chasing elk along the Missouri Breaks this October, debating whether to stick with using my pack or switch back to my bipod (or sticks).

I use a Stoney Point Rapid Pivot Bipod.

Works well for me, I use the sitting/kneeling version that goes from 25" to 43". You put an attachment on your rifle where the sling swivel stud is and then the bipod clicks into that. It spins on the attachment and the legs going into a rubber Y so you can just spread the legs out at different angles to account for sidehills, etc. It clicks on in seconds and is very lightweight and slides right into a side pocket on my pack really easily.

Here's a picture of it.

2011_NM_Muley2.jpg

First post on this site been a long time lurker

I found these sticks this past spring at a local gear swap. I traded for a pair and have been happy with the result.

Weighing a lot less than any bi-pod, these sticks will hold the entire weight of the gun. They hold your gun steady and can help you shoot accurately at any long distance. They are especially useful in an uphill/downhill situation holding the gun firmly and steady in any direction. If you find yourself with a sagebrush or grass in your way, no worries, these sticks are easily adjustable to get around the problem areas.

There is a how to video posted here

https://www.facebook.com/pages/High-Heavy-Outfitters/427490224009623

If you ride horses as I do... Saddles make awesome rest, but you need an awesome horse like my horse wrangler

ive been using the bog-pod system,,,they have several options but i use the tripod as both shooting rest and as my spotting scope tripod,,,the shorter version packs better,but i also have the tall version for tall sage areas.there camera adapter works perfect with my nikon e d 50 light spotter.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back