Binos - Theron Vs Vortex

Ben Lamb

So after not spotting a decent buck at first light w/ the cheap old burris glasses I have, and looking through the Vortex optics that Exponentialpi has, and checking out a few more offerings, I was wondering what folks in the know thought about the Vortex line versus the THeron line?

I'm limited to about $350 or $400, so if there are other options out there beyond these two, I'd be interested in those as well.

Zen-Rays fit my bill at $215, and are very good quality for the price...I know, you see that price and you don't even want to look, but 4 of us here at work have them, and I don't think you'll hear a complaint out of any of them, and they do a fair share of glassing in Idaho, New Mexico and Wyoming.

You already took a look through the Vortex and the glass is nice. The icing on the cake is the statement made here.

I used my Theron Wapiti EDs quite a bit this year. I am very happy with them! I have looked thru Viper but never glassed at length with them. Zen Ray's were actually my next choice after the Theron.

I used my Theron Wapiti EDs quite a bit this year. I am very happy with them! I have looked thru Viper but never glassed at length with them. Zen Ray's were actually my next choice after the Theron.

I didn't get a chance to check out Danny's Theron's but I am very happy with my Zen Rays. Tough choices all around.

Sounds like you have some good ones to chose from those mentioned. My 2 cents are in favor of the Vortex, but of the ones mentioned I've only got experience with Nikon and Vortex. I'm happy with my Nikon Monarchs, but my son's Vortex have a better image, also the focus just feels and looks more precise.

I looked through some Vortex a couple of weeks ago and was not impressed. Then again it might be because I've been looking through Zeiss glass for the last two years. :D

Just bought a pair of Vortex Vipers and put em through 9 days of abuse in the field. They are great. They are twice the money of my old Monarchs and at least 3 times as good. Excellent clarity and light transmission, and images are very sharp. They hold up extremely well in low light conditions, which is where the Monarchs fail, IMO. They are very rugged and waterproof (I spent 4 days in pouring rain and snow and they got drenched. You know its bad when there is water trickling out the action of the rifle.) They have a stiff focus wheel, which is good for fine adjustment, I think, and a locking diopter ring, which is very nice.

Are they as good as the high end Euro glass out there? Nope. I put them all side by side and the $2000 + binos are still better than the $600 Vortex. No surprises there. But they do punch a couple classes above their weight. Optics4birding.com is a good sight to check out. They have a lot of data on binos if you are searching for a new pair.

I got the Vortex Viper HD s this year and couldn't be happier, they are not a $2000 Swaro, but they are ALOT closer than what their 1/4 as much price tag would suggest. Have not had any experience with it yet, but have heard their customer service and no questions asked lifetime warranty is first rate. Also might watch Camo Fire if your not in a hurry, they have had some pretty good glass on there for some pretty killer deals.

Ben, if your interested in the theron binoculars give me a pm. I will give you a good price
Pat

I'm a huge fan of the Redfield 10x42s that I bought a couple of summers ago for $160. I compared them to the more expensive glass that Sportsman's warehouse had when I bought them, and I didn't think the more expensive ones were so much better that I could justify the extra hundreds of dollars.

There are a number of names there that you won't go wrong with in that price range. I haven't looked through the Theron's myself but have heard good things about them. I too bought a set of Vipers thise year and I still have a set of the Nikon Monarch's in my truck. The Monarchs have always been a good value but they aren't in the same class as the Vortex. I have put them up side by side with my Vortex in the field on numerous occassions and the optical quality, sweet spot, brightness, etc. are visibly better in the Vortex.

If you want some solid feedback on these, the Theron's and others check out posts at www.opticstalk.com. These binoculars have been reviewed and talked about hundreds of posts and comments. You won't regret going to the Vortex if that's the way you go though. Good luck.

Tell you what, here is a deal for any member of OYOA hunt talk.
PM me if you are interested in the Theron Wapiti APO 10X bins and I will do special year end price of $319 plus minimal actual UPS shipping. And as usual, if not satisfied you could have bought clearer optics for the same money you can return them in mint condition within 10 days.
Sorry, but no 8X in this offer at this time, those are out of stock on those from the birding crowd.....
You must PM me for this price, that way I know you are a member of the forum.

I think a lot of guys have caught on that you don't need big brand names to get good optics in the sub $500 range. And many of the brands mentioned like Zen and Vortex are all great buys. With the Theron Wapiti APO you get ED glass and a Apochromatic objective design to help out with chromatic aberrations too. The clarity is hard to believe for the money spent.

I would go with the Vortex they have the best warrenty in the biz. I would say take a look at the Talon HD they are great glass for $440.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back