Bicycle Trailer

Sytes

What do you most and least like about bicycle trailers you've used or considered using in the past?

I've purchased aluminum and plan to replicate bicycle tire quick locks and considering a couple rear wheel disc brake type tires from some garage sale/2nd hand store and running some quick connect cable for a type of trailer brake though that may be an addition later down the road. Also thinking of framed walls inside the tire that fold out into a flatbed or fold in for storage / compact trailer. Aluminum is so darn light weight, weight load integrity w/ enough spring / flex to make it a smoother transport tool.

The main place I hunt on my bike has quite a few hairpin switchbacks on the single track ascent/descent up to the ridge line where having the bike becomes advantageous. It would be impossible to pull a trailer on that part of the trail, so I’ve opted for panniers and a backpack instead.

What do you most and least like about bicycle trailers you've used or considered using in the past?

I've purchased aluminum and plan to replicate bicycle tire quick locks and considering a couple rear wheel disc brake type tires from some garage sale/2nd hand store and running some quick connect cable for a type of trailer brake though that may be an addition later down the road. Also thinking of framed walls inside the tire that fold out into a flatbed or fold in for storage / compact trailer. Aluminum is so darn light weight, weight load integrity w/ enough spring / flex to make it a smoother transport tool.

Trailer braking would be nice for when it's loaded, but not sure how easy that would be to rig up. You're right on track with the folding bars on the sides too. Also get the quick-release hubs so you can just pop the wheels off, that's how our Burley trailer works and it's nice for packing it in the vehicle.

Never tried trailer brakes but not a bad idea. I'd opt for a single wheeled trailer design like the Bob. Pulls smoother without the trailer arm flex of the Burley style. That or just go xtracycle or other cargo bike.

A little suspension would help. I ride in on some rougher roads and that thing can bounce all over the place, especially when going in light, hoping to come out heavy. Light leaf springs or something could go a long ways to quieting and smoothing out the ride.
I haven't had any need for trailer brakes with loads so far (up to 120lbs), but I have good disc brakes on my bike.

Let us know what you come up with.

Appreciate all the great input!
I like the single wheel with the saddlebag type setup however I'd like it to be able to hold more... As in a flatbed type or a flatbed that has sidewalls if needed...
Sometimes trying to accommodate everything can screw up everything! Haha! However and with that said, that's what I'm looking to do... I'm contemplating keeping it two wheeled however along the center line, in line with the cycle, if you can picture that, it's going to be hinged. Basically my idea is that it can fold inward to where the two cycle tires are almost side by side by a few inches parting each other's quick connect location. Kind of creating a pseudo single tire ability.

Anyhow that's kind of the rough idea. Thoughts on that? Also I'm not too sure how to make a quick attach type break system I don't think it would be too difficult, however side-by-side breaks could create a poll on one side or the other if they're not identical. That's kind of my fear on the brake portion I'll have to look into that more.

If you're traveling on gated roads and won't be pushing the bike cross country, or will be riding on trails, a BOB trailer will work. They suck if you need to push it from your kill site to the road with a load.
The Burley is 10x more stable when going cross country and won't fall over every 50 feet like a BOB will but, they're too wide for trails.
All of them make noise, BOB is the best but the Burley is quiet too once you strip it down to a minimal frame and use a webbing type deck. Plywood decks will amplify the sound as it bounces down the road when not loaded up.

3.JPG

1.jpg

Reviewed the specs for Burley, bob, etc...

One aspect that has me a bit puzzled, the (1) double sided connection fitting to the rear cycle axle vs the (2) single left side axle attachment.

1 tow capacity 70#'s
2 tow capacity 100#'s

I get the gist, in general... Single tire vs double. What strikes a bit odd, why not double tire #1 type? Make the joint a 240* - 120*+ twist. Two wheeled off both rt/lft side of rear cycle axle would seem less trailer drift, more tow capacity, etc.

My goal... Picture an F-14 Tomcat. Wings recessed and expanded. The option to increase or narrow the trailer bed as desired.

A couple other aspects to expand length and/or width.

Aluminum is pretty expensive however, $450 for a tube aluminum build (very little aluminum) and pretty simple setup.

Goes back to K.I.S.S. and my potential downfall... I think I will be able to keep it simple w/ pro/retract wheel setting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back