Bh 209

the nikster

Is this stuff for use with 209's only, is that why the name?
I still have pyro pellets but need to find something else (loose grains) to remain legal for my hunt.

I have a traditions lightning fire .50 cal.

Any recommendations?:confused:

Havn't tried it, sorry.

I still use Pyrodex RS. I sure do wish that real black powder was readily available. I like the smell :)

Blackpowder has an ignition point of 600degrees or about, while any of the synthetics have an ignition point of around 800 degrees, you pretty much need a 209 primer to ignite the synthetics.

Thanks guys.

I think I am going to buy both Pyro and 777. Then try to work up the best load/bullet match for my rifle. Yes, I will have to buy several bullets in different weights but the end result will hopefully be worth it.

Isn't the darker end of a pyrodex pellet actually black powder?
Are others the same?

I would suggest BH209 if you can swing it. Just shot some a few days ago for about the 4th time. No crud ring and do not have to swab between shots.

OK, I just tried some yesterday since I have a pretty good Muzz tag this year. I was having a little trouble grouping the 300gr bullets I want to use with Pyrodex and 777 so i went and picked up some of this stuff yesterday and shot it. Wow..... I am sold. I usually spit patch between every shot to remove the crud near the breech and keep thing consistent but the info says this stuff is as clean as smokeless powder. Well, it is. I shot 15 shots and never cleaned or swabbed the barrel. bullets went down easy, and best of all i got a broup that I would be happy with most rifles I own. (.914")
I could care less about the price, i am sold. I have not ran one through the chrony yet though.

What load are you going to be shooting Schmalts? I'm going to pick up some BH209
and some different Barnes to try and start with 90 grains and go up and see what kind of results I get. I'm shooting an omega. I'd be interested in your chrony results.

Did you find somebody to tag a long on your hunt? It's getting closer.......:hump:

Still have not run it throught he chrony... I did use 120 grains by volume though. By the kick, my guess is it is near the same as I was getting with the 777 and pyrodex (2050-2100 FPS) with a 300gr bullet you really can tell the difference in kick by just going with 10 grains less of any powder.

I gave this stuff a try for the first time this yr. Not having to swab is nice but it picks up moisture like any other powder. Loaded my gun the night before, kept it inside the tent overnight, and it didn't ignite opening morning. Cost me my biggest buck.

I have been shooting BH 209 in a T/C Impact since Thanksgiving. I'm using 80 Gr. equivalent by volume, actually 56 Gr. by weight behind a 250 Gr. Barnes TEZ saboted copper bullet with CCI 209M primers. I am very happy with the performance, but have yet to shoot any critters. I have been unloading my rifle at the end of the day by shooting into a small tree. So far, it shoots right through a 3" diameter hardwood. I was getting a number of shots into the same hole when I was sighting in at 50 Yd. I'm in the woods and most of my shots were less than 50 Yd.

I gave this stuff a try for the first time this yr. Not having to swab is nice but it picks up moisture like any other powder. Loaded my gun the night before, kept it inside the tent overnight, and it didn't ignite opening morning. Cost me my biggest buck.

That sucks, but in all fairness to the powder or any powder...it's not the powder picking up moisture...it's the metal on your rifle picking up moisture. The brand or type of propellent makes no difference, if your gun is cooled and heated quickly you will have wet powder.

Before a cold hunt I put my rifle in the garage for a day or two before loading it, that way it doesn't go from a warm house to a cold morning hunt.

"Before a cold hunt I put my rifle in the garage for a day or two before loading it, that way it doesn't go from a warm house to a cold morning hunt."

Didn't have that option. Packed 3 miles into the CO wilderness. What am I supposed to do, load a fresh charge everyday and dump the powder out every night?

What am I supposed to do, load a fresh charge everyday and dump the powder out every night?

That's what I do, but I don't dump it out, I shoot it. It's partly due to the gun transportation laws here in Illinois, but mainly because I figure that I should shoot something to be sure that my sights are on.

Leaving it outside the tent not knowing what the overnight weather in the high country will be is a little too risky for me. I usually camp close to where I hunt, and w/ elk bugling nightly I wasn't about to shoot it every night.

edit:
I might try leaving it under the tent fly next time though...

Last edited:
Leaving it outside the tent not knowing what the overnight weather in the high country will be is a little too risky for me. I usually camp close to where I hunt, and w/ elk bugling nightly I wasn't about to shoot it every night.

edit:
I might try leaving it under the tent fly next time though...

That makes sense. Here in the populated east, it's a different situation. Very few people camp on the property that they are hunting. Most come out before dawn and go in at night. That gets us in to the transportation issue. I pretty much have to unload my rifle before I leave. I could pull the breech plug and drive the bullet out, My other muzzleloader didn't have a removable breech plug, so I had to shoot the rifle to unload it

Just a question here but in most states aren't muzzleloaders considered unloaded without a primer on them?

I loaded my Knight MK85 with 777 at 10,000 feet in Co last year and rode a horse with it on my back to 12,000 feet where I sat up camp. I slept with it in a softcase in my tent with me every night....no heater of any kind. A week later, it fired like a champ.

If I can get my Disc Extreme to group Thors with Blackhorn 209 like I hope to, it may accompany me on the same trip this September. I can only hope that it will function as well as the 777 did for me up there. If I ever have a reason to doubt it, I will not hesitate to fire it and reload.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back