Better late than never, September deer hunt recap

RyGuy

I hate to shift any focus away from the in depth discussions about mayo, timespace, or cheese sandwiches, because while that may not be the reason I created a profile it is one of the primary reasons I stick around here.

But I also love to share hunting stories, and I’ve been meaning to post this one up for a while. Here we go.
When applying for hunts this year I had to keep in mind my pregnant wife, and I wanted to get as much hunting in before the due date of November 15th as I possibly could. I was hoarding vacation, sick and overtime as much as possible for baby bonding.

I decided to hunt muzzleloader deer close to home with my dad. This would give me 2 weekends to hunt, and I wouldn’t lose much time to travel across the state.

We planned to hunt opening day in one area, then camp and hunt the last weekend in another.

During the summer I overheard one of my coworkers talking about a “huge” buck that lived by his house. I didn’t think much of it, for many reasons:

1. He isn’t a hunter, so a forkhorn might be a giant to him, I don’t know.

2. Obviously this buck can’t be standing on the side of the road on public land right?

3. I don’t know where he lives so what are the chances of the buck being in the right unit?

4. Why would this guy tell me where this deer is, knowing I’m gonna go kill him and he won’t get to watch him anymore?

5. Even if all of the above questions have the right answers, what are the chances that buck won’t get killed in archery season before I get a chance to hunt him?

Well as the summer progressed and I received confirmation that we drew our deer tags, I continue to hear legend of “the giant roadside buck”, the “king of the mountain”, the “antlers in the trees” and various other names for this deer.

Eventually I can’t help myself, and at the risk of heartbreak and disappointment I start to inquire about this great monarch of the forest.

I start slow with questions like: “wow you sure see a lot of wildlife on your drive in, how far of a drive is it for you?”

“Where is it you live?”

“Is there any national forest near your place?”

Eventually I find out that the buck lives on public land, and in the unit I can hunt! Great news.

Over the summer we talk daily about the deer near his place and where they go, when he sees them etc. I’m extremely excited as opening day approaches and I dream of the monster buck in my crosshairs.

Another storyline worth mentioning is the struggle I had with my muzzleloader sights. This is a multi year saga but I feel like it finally came to a conclusion this year as part of my hunts, so hang in there.

I have a tradition’s pursuit in .50 cal, and it comes with fiber optic sights standard. Since Colorado regulations state that a muzzleloader may not have any optics, I originally thought the stock sights would be fine. Well on my first hunt with them (many years ago) I broke the fiber optic front sight off by leaning the gun against a rock. Flimsy, pathetic, not ideal. I had to borrow another gun to finish my hunt that year.
C0D5BA1D-DC49-45A2-A9AC-41193164CB68.jpeg
In the years following I replaced the broken front sight but often struggled with accuracy. The sights seemed very “sloppy” as in there was a lot of play in the rear grove to line up the front post and it was difficult to get a consistent point of aim, UNLIKE the picture below.
1A190041-58E7-412A-B4AB-21208FCAA55B.jpeg
I also attributed some of the accuracy problems to the sights being too close together on the barrel. I feel like a longer distance between sights is more forgiving.

And this particular muzzleloader seems to have a lot of wasted barrel space.
189AA469-E045-4A44-B88E-490EC03B4699.jpeg
The sights also seemed bulky and covered up most of my target.

So I decided to upgrade to a rear peep with a front globe sight. After some trial and error I settled on a traditions scope rail with a rear peep, and a Lyman front globe sight mounted in the old sight dove tail. This solved my problems but created some new ones.
FC373991-15F9-45DD-8460-781881F1D6CC.jpeg
6678215C-7B97-4022-93F1-811DE9C7CE02.jpeg
I now had to jbweld the Lyman globe sight to the front dovetail, because the fit was not tight. Which looked terrible and didn’t provide me much confidence in its durability.

Keep in mind I’m no gunsmith, so all of this is very much just trial and error and Jerry-rigging to the best of my abilities.

Another problem was that the gun shot low. REALLY low. Like I maxed out the adjustment on my rear sight and it still shot a foot low, kinda low. I made due for a year and shot a nice antelope buck with it.

In the spring of this year I vowed to fix the damn thing once and for all, since I had a muzzy deer and antelope tag for the fall.

I thought that I might be able to lower the front sight, which would bring my point of impact up. I tried attaching the Lyman globe to the barrel directly without the dovetail. To do this I had to drill a hole through the sight, so a screw could hold it in place while also wallowing out a curved grove in the bottom of the glove sight so it would fit on the round barrel flush.
4EAA9643-062D-4A63-8F08-66462E3BFEC5.jpeg
I ran into so many issues in this process including not having the correct tools at all, impossible to find screws, etc. but I won’t even go into the details… SOMEHOW I got the globe sight attached. It was a victorious moment many years in the making.

After all this, I take the gun out to sight in and wouldn’t you know… it’s shooting 2 feet high.
I adjust the sights.
Still high.
I max out the adjustment.
Still way too high.
Damn.
Now I’m wondering if I should:
A. Go lay down in traffic and end my mystery.
B. Try to fix the sights again.
I look around and there are no cars in sight. It’s a barely traveled dirt road. Looks like I’m heading home to work on the gun some more.

Ryguy! Heroic effort there. But did you know that there are 3 different lyman 17a heights?

Also, if you need to tighten a slightly too loose dovetail you can lay some aluminum (like from a beer can), in the bottom of the female dovetail and then drive the sight in and - it should wedge upwards and tight. You can always fold the aluminum if it needs more than one thickness. There are limits to this method of course. When you have reached that limit, soldering a strip of steel onto one of the angled sides of the male dovetail will do the trick for sure.

If you are going to lower another sight onto a round barrel, cut a v-notch in the bottom of the sight, not a radius, unless it is a substantially smaller radius than the barrel. It will sit much more solidly.

Not sure what you have for the rear sight, but there are many makers.

This is doable. You are on the right track.

Another storyline worth mentioning is the struggle I had with my muzzleloader sights. This is a multi year saga but I feel like it finally came to a conclusion this year as part of my hunts, so hang in there.

I have a tradition’s pursuit in .50 cal, and it comes with fiber optic sights standard. Since Colorado regulations state that a muzzleloader may not have any optics, I originally thought the stock sights would be fine. Well on my first hunt with them (many years ago) I broke the fiber optic front sight off by leaning the gun against a rock. Flimsy, pathetic, not ideal. I had to borrow another gun to finish my hunt that year.
View attachment 256683
In the years following I replaced the broken front sight but often struggled with accuracy. The sights seemed very “sloppy” as in there was a lot of play in the rear grove to line up the front post and it was difficult to get a consistent point of aim, UNLIKE the picture below.
View attachment 256684
I also attributed some of the accuracy problems to the sights being too close together on the barrel. I feel like a longer distance between sights is more forgiving.

And this particular muzzleloader seems to have a lot of wasted barrel space.
View attachment 256686
The sights also seemed bulky and covered up most of my target.

So I decided to upgrade to a rear peep with a front globe sight. After some trial and error I settled on a traditions scope rail with a rear peep, and a Lyman front globe sight mounted in the old sight dove tail. This solved my problems but created some new ones.
View attachment 256687
View attachment 256688
I now had to jbweld the Lyman globe sight to the front dovetail, because the fit was not tight. Which looked terrible and didn’t provide me much confidence in its durability.

Keep in mind I’m no gunsmith, so all of this is very much just trial and error and Jerry-rigging to the best of my abilities.

Another problem was that the gun shot low. REALLY low. Like I maxed out the adjustment on my rear sight and it still shot a foot low, kinda low. I made due for a year and shot a nice antelope buck with it.

In the spring of this year I vowed to fix the damn thing once and for all, since I had a muzzy deer and antelope tag for the fall.

I thought that I might be able to lower the front sight, which would bring my point of impact up. I tried attaching the Lyman globe to the barrel directly without the dovetail. To do this I had to drill a hole through the sight, so a screw could hold it in place while also wallowing out a curved grove in the bottom of the glove sight so it would fit on the round barrel flush.
View attachment 256689
I ran into so many issues in this process including not having the correct tools at all, impossible to find screws, etc. but I won’t even go into the details… SOMEHOW I got the globe sight attached. It was a victorious moment many years in the making.

I put a peep/glove from Williams on my T/C, maybe they have a set that will fit your rifle?

Yes, I am aware that there were other options. And I know there were better ways of doing what I tried to do, but equal parts stupidity and stubbornness had me struggling.
Finally I broke down and started researching other sight options. I found the Williams western precision sight and purchased one. Thank goodness I did! It was easy to install, easy to adjust and I was shooting good groups in no time.
100 yards:
8B63C53C-A503-4ADF-99A9-EBC1092A0561.jpeg
I shot at 150 and 200 yards, and determined my limit would be 150.

Opening day finally arrives, and the weather is about as bad as it could be for muzzleloader hunting. Heavy rain, fog, cold and wind. But dad and I head out anyway. We drive up a “private” road towards my work buddy’s house. The road swings through some forest service land and in a nearby clearing, that’s where the big buck lives.

Side note:
Does anyone know the legality of posting a road as private? It is a road that leads up to a bunch of houses spread out across a mountainside. The road starts off on a paved county road and weaves through various small pieces of private. It crosses forest service and continues to more small pieces of private. No gate. There are “no trespassing” and “private road” signs everywhere but is it really? It seems similar to a road through a neighborhood leading to a park. I can drive that road and go to the park with my kids right? Why is the forest service different? Just curious if anyone knows about this type of thing.
Either way it didn’t matter because my work friend had given me permission to be there and use the road to access the public land.

We load up our muzzleloaders, grab our packs and head off into the dark. The sun gently added some light to the wet grey morning and I realized we were in the wrong clearing! We move up a small hill and peer over into the correct opening expecting to see monster antlers feeding in the morning rain. Instead the wind swirls, hits the back of my neck and as I crest the hilltop I see a few does quickly moving over the next ridge.
Ahead is a small bowl with sparse timber surrounding a grassy opening. On the left a decent sized mountain top with mixed sage, burned trees and grasses. Dad and I sit down and watch the clearing as the sun rises and the rain continues.
We eat a light breakfast and start to get restless from the cold. We decide to split up and each hunt around opposite sides of the mountain top, then meet each other on the backside of the ridge.
21064BA8-C519-4543-90D6-DF18E29A98F1.jpeg
The fog made it difficult to glass any sort of distance. But we pressed on in search of a couple bucks.

Side note:
Does anyone know the legality of posting a road as private? It is a road that leads up to a bunch of houses spread out across a mountainside. The road starts off on a paved county road and weaves through various small pieces of private. It crosses forest service and continues to more small pieces of private. No gate. There are “no trespassing” and “private road” signs everywhere but is it really? It seems similar to a road through a neighborhood leading to a park. I can drive that road and go to the park with my kids right? Why is the forest service different? Just curious if anyone knows about this type of thing.
Either way it didn’t matter because my work friend had given me permission to be there and use the road to access the public land.

my guess in this situation it's an HOA owned road and is indeed considered private road. not legal access without permission like you had.

there's a specific HOA i'm considering calling up again and offering a trespass fee to use their road for next year.

Enjoying following along!! Good luck to both of you!!! @RyGuy, hopefully the story ends with the monster being filmed or captured on video.

As I walk up the ridge and start to side hill about 1/3 of the way from the top of the peak, the wind continues to swirl unpredictably.
AC6E3046-EA59-49CC-965D-89520EE38CC0.jpeg I can only see about 50 yards at this point because the fog has rolled in thick and I’m thinking how unlikely I am to see a deer. Surely they’ll smell or hear me before I get a look at them. Right as this thought is crossing my mind I jump a bedded doe at about 25 yards, maybe this morning isn’t hopeless.
I continue to slowly hunt my way across the ridge. Suddenly, like a ghost a deer appears to my right and slightly downhill. It has antlers. I drop to a knee and raise my binoculars. It’s a buck. A young buck, probably 20” wide but with a lot of points. Is this the “monster” that my work buddy described? Maybe… it’s not a giant to me, but a deer I’d be happy to take! This unit isn’t exactly a trophy unit after all.
I try to get a range, but the dense fog makes it difficult. The buck is staring my direction, he has seen something in the fog just like I have. I finally range a tree next to him at 97 yards. Perfect. Right in my comfort zone. I raise my muzzleloader and steady on a fallen log. I look through the peep sight and… no buck! What happened? Did he take off?? I check the binos, no he’s still standing there in the same spot. I pull the gun up again, the buck isn’t there. The fog is so thick that I can just barely make the buck out with my naked eye, I can see him well with binoculars, but looking through a small peep sight and front globe I can’t find him! He blends into the fog.
I watch him watch me for a minute and I ponder my options. Maybe I can creep towards him and he won’t be able to tell what I am from the fog?
I make my move, and he instantly bolts. Disappearing into the fog forever.
1AC09197-3502-467A-AAC3-91A1E2E314A9.jpeg
Oh well! It’s the first morning. I link up with dad and we start make our way back to the car. We’re both soaked to the bone and need to warm up.
We spot some deer on the walk back but are unable to make a stalk.
We crank the heater in the car and lay the seats back for a quick nap.

After the nap the rain subsides and we are feeling refreshed! We decide to climb the mountain we hunted in the morning and hunt the basin on the backside. We cross over and find some glassing points, searching for deer as we move. We find an abandoned car, a common find when I’m out hunting. I often wonder how they get way out in the boonies like this.
View attachment 257275
We keep moving and jump a few does and a velvet spike. Too early to think about shooting this little guy, even for dad who’s always looking to fill the freezer48D15974-5A22-4528-85F5-75FF9B9E94C8.jpeg
We keep hunting and glassing our way around the basin. We ease up into each ravine slowly and glass as we move, hoping to catch a buck feeding or see and antlertip from a bedded deer.
By the time we get to the last ravine before leaving without seeing anything we are getting a bit lackadaisical. Moving too fast and not glassing enough.
Of course the lack of discipline bites us in the butt and we jump two nice 4 point bucks. They take off down the ravine and I watch them crest a distant ridge. AF3C9B98-F691-42E4-B74F-A2B7BC078073.jpegCF82E2CA-235D-45BB-960C-D0CC7C862ADE.jpeg
Damn! It always seems like the moment you let your guard down, that’s when the animals catch you.
We head for the car.
33E7FD63-DFB6-4B9A-8D64-FD61C4DEDCB5.jpeg
This hill doesn’t look too imposing until you zoom in and see dad working his way down.
We climb out of the basin and are on the same side of the first mountain as our vehicle. It’s getting to be golden hour so we sit down and watch the clearing from early in the morning.
After a few minutes a herd of deer with a forkhorn in it comes walking by to our right.
Dad decides he wants to fill his tag now, no more passing legal deer. He fires a shot and the deer bolt! I lose sight of them. Did he hit??
No… we check for blood but find none.
It’s now cold, raining again, nearly dark. We call it a day.
Our hunt for the giant buck ends without even laying eyes on him(maybe).

Attachments

• 336EFE97-C26D-4CBF-96A5-CFE100C1087B.jpeg
    336EFE97-C26D-4CBF-96A5-CFE100C1087B.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
Thinking the day is over I fire my gun and we hop in the car heading for home. But wait! There’s more!
On the way out, right at the edge of public we spot a herd of deer with a BIG forkhorn in it. I ask dad if he wants to try again? No, he says he’s had his shot for today.
What the heck, I’ll give it a try.
We pull around a patch of trees, I quickly load my gun with a speed loader from my pack and I make my stalk.
I’m sneaking In and I’m not seeing any deer where I thought they were… I’m creeping through the sage wondering where they went when suddenly I realize I’m 50 yards from the herd. The fog strikes again. They’re all staring at me, and I’m stuck in the open.
They take off, but stop at 105 yards. I range, get steady, and right as I sit down to brace off a bit of wind clears the fog ever so slightly. I can see the buck. I steady and pull the trigger. KAA-BOOM! The moisture has clearly affected my powder…
The smoke clears and the buck casually trots away, seemingly laughing at me.
Day one is over.

After that day in the rain, dad and I had work/family commitments that prevented us from hunting for the rest of the week. We would have the last weekend to get it done.
Friday night we pulled in to a campsite near an area we have hunted in years past, but far away from where we had hunted the previous weekend. The “big buck” that my work buddy had watched would be safe for another year.
This was the view from camp:670AD827-5B4C-488B-8F94-350994E905D1.jpeg
Morning 1 we planned to sit a ravine that empties out into some private hay fields below, in hopes that deer might feed up into the hills to bed. It was a beautiful crisp clear morning. The sun started to rise and we spotted a herd of deer in the hay fields to the NE. There was a nice buck, but they seemed content and too far into the fields to be likely to come our way.
Suddenly I hear a commotion behind us and turn to see a whole herd of elk walking over the hilltop we’re sitting on. They’re at 50 yards and have no idea we’re here. The cows are moving towards our left, staying about 50 yards out, and right as I’m thinking “it’s September, where’s the bull?” He shows himself. A beautiful 6 point steps into view and stands skylined at only 50 yards.
DFC8747B-D3B0-4968-BD2D-8BAD4EDE11ED.jpeg
Sheesh, I should’ve tried harder to get that returned muzzleloader tag off the leftover list.
Here’s a closer look at him, after the herd took off and was crossing the hillside in front of us.
449C98D8-65DA-4D41-A75C-8B88E2B18DD3.jpeg

Mid day, day 1 was spent riding out a sudden rainstorm and turning absolutely green with envy when another hunter came driving out of the high country with a heavy 160”-170”4x4 buck riding in the back of his truck.
Our evening plan was to hunt a series of small ravines uphill from the same hay fields on the morning hunt.
There are 12 ravines over the span of about 1.5 miles all uphill from the hay. A road on the far north side would be our access point, and we’d hunt our way down south, peering into each ravine as we go, towards another road where we dropped off a vehicle.
We drive in on the south road and as we are dropping off the truck we get a little too close to the last ravine, and a doe with two fawns spooks out and heads north. Good to see there are deer in the area!
We drive all the way around to the north side and start working our way down. We crest the third ridgetop and I see a deer feeding down below. I drop to a knee and check with my binos. A doe, with two fawns…. Damn it’s probably the same ones we bumped earlier.
We try to sneak around them but they smell us and take off into the hay fields, and start heading south.
We continue to creep over each ridge hoping to spot a buck below.
Nothing to be seen. The mixed sage/grass/oak brush/aspen looks like great habitat but there aren’t any more deer to be seen. Finally we reach the final ravine and I’m feeling a little demoralized. I was expecting to see more deer than that. I can see the truck and I’m heading that way when I look left and see there’s a little draw I hadn’t noticed on the map.
I head that way and peer over the ridgetop. There’s a deer below! I’m in perfect position to make a stalk close. I look closer, it’s a doe. With two fawns.
Sheesh. These poor things, I’m just chasing them all over the hills clearly…
I decide to practice my stalking skills anyway and start creeping in on them. I’m just looking to see how close I can get before they notice me.
I end up at about 80 yards and I’m out in the wide open. Right as the doe spots me, I spot something off to my left at about 200 yards.
Another deer. Crap! Now I’m stuck here out in the open. Before I even pull up my binos I know what it is. Of course it’s a nice 4x4 buck.
Now I’m unsure what to do. I’m pinned down out in the wide open. The buck hasn’t seen me, but the doe and fawns are all looking at me, snorting and stomping.
I then realized the buck is across a fence. Oh, looks like he’s on private. Oh well, no way he’ll come my way. Unless…
For some strange reason I decide that spooking the doe and fawns is a good idea. I think to myself “maybe I could scare them, they’ll take off, which will make the buck nervous and he’ll want to move towards cover. The only cover is closer to me, so he’ll move my way and I’ll kill him”
So I stand and wave my arms at the doe. She spooks and the buck turns and looks right in my direction. I’m still sitting in the wide open for some reason. I then realize that perhaps the fence isn’t necessarily the property line? I check OnX. Of course, the buck is on public!
But now he’s got me pinned down and the doe/fawns have moved out to about 300 yards and are snorting at me.
I contemplate taking a long shot.
The buck spooks.
He heads north and I’m feeling like a gigantic idiot. BUT it’s still not over.
I head north in hopes he’ll loop around and head up the next ravine over from me.
I “set up” in the next ravine over and watch below me. I put “set up” in quotes because for some reason I just squatted in the middle of the ravine on a wide open hill, gun across my lap, not hidden or prepared to shoot at all. The buck crests a ridge at 250 and spots me instantly.
He’s seen enough. He takes off out across the hay field.

I still struggle to find the words to describe how nonsensical my decisions were that night. I acted like I’ve never hunted deer before in my life. All I can do when looking back is laugh.

Day 2, Sunday, the last day of season. Dad and I hiked in 2 miles to a glassing point. We headed Northeast up a finger ridge that started out in a sage flat and rose up to meet the mountain we were glassing. We stashed frame packs halfway in from the parking lot, to make our lives easier should we be fortunate enough to fill our tags. The sun is rising and lighting up hillsides. The mountain we hoped would be full of deer is empty.
We glass to the south and see a few suspicious looking rocks at the top of a distant ridge. After watching for a while we determine they are indeed deer! We have no spotter, and they’re 2 miles away so watching them is difficult. We’re watching and discussing our options and they start working their way down the mountain. Between us is a private valley, but we can get to their mountain if we wrap around towards the truck. As they get closer we get excited and start to make a plan on how to get in on them. Dad wants to go now, I want to watch and wait for them to bed. We watch the herd work all the way down, enter the private and disappear into a willow thicket. Damn! They could stay there all day if they wanted.
I can tell dad is a little frustrated, but we stay calm. It’s okay, hopefully they’ll come out again.

They do, and they start working their way back up the mountain. We can see antlers on at least one of them, maybe two when the light hits them just right.

They start milling around a stand of aspens about halfway up and dad is ready to go again. I tell him “wait! We need them to bed. They’ve been moving all over the place and once we’re in the valley we won’t be able to see them and they could move again”. Dad grumbles, but seems to agree.

Suddenly the deer spook and start running west and uphill. That’s odd? What spooked them? I feel happy we waited and watched them but also bummed because they keep climbing and heading away from us.

They calm, then spook again! What the heck! They run up and over the top of the mountain. Dad is pissed. He stomps down the hill and heads in the direction of the truck.

I then realize what is spooking the deer. A pack of coyotes has been chasing them. The coyotes seem to lose interest when the deer disappear over the ridge and head West.

The deer reappear and start working their way back towards us and down the face of the mountain. I chase dad down and tell him to wait because the deer are coming back. The deer start milling around again and dad is ready to go! He packs up and tells me he’s going over to get those deer. “Dad just wait. They’re gonna bed soon and then we can make a plan and get in on them”.

He’s had enough. He says hell no! And starts down the ridge. Tensions are high. I yell at him, he yells at me, we part ways. He’s mad because “if we had just gone after them when we first spotted them hours ago, we’d be gutting a deer by now” I say yeah right and stick to my guns that I need to see where they bed down.

I watch dad cross the valley below me and wrap around the private. He disappears over a small rise at the base of the distant mountain. I also watch the deer. They feed for a while, then relocate and head to the top of a bowl near the West end of the mountain face. They finally bed down. Okay now I can make my move.
I turn on my radio and try dad: “hey, dad where are you”
Dad-“I’m at the base of the mountain in a stand of aspens”
Me- “Okay. The deer are bedded”
Dad- “Alright I’m gonna go get one”
Me- “Do you know where you’re going?”
Long pause…
Dad- “no”
Me- “I’ll come get you”

I meet up with dad and fill him in on the plan. All harsh feelings are forgiven.

We’ll sneak over a hill, creep up a ravine, pop over one final hilltop near the top of the bowl, and we should be in range according to OnX.

Everything goes exactly as planned, and we find ourselves just 150 yards from where I last saw the deer. We drop our day packs to make the final stalk. I leave my binoculars and grab just my muzzleloader and rangefinder.

We crawl side by side up the final rise, weaving through clumps of sage brush. Ahead, across the bowl I see antlers and ears. I stop crawling and look through my rangefinder. The 6x magnification is just enough to make out a buck laying in the shade of a large bush. He is broadside, head turned in my direction but he clearly has no idea I’m here. I motion to dad that I see a buck. He signals for me to shoot.

I check the range, 140. Steady, line up the shot, squeeze the trigger! I flinch like a madman. Oops, the safety is still on… well with that flinch I probably wouldn’t have hit anything anyway!

Okay, try again… squeeze the trigger slow, BOOM! The smoke clears and I don’t see the buck. There are does standing up and nervously looking around. They still haven’t seen us but the heard is moving to our right and uphill.

I can see all of the herd and the buck I shot at isn’t with them. Dad is trying to find a buck to shoot at. The herd moves behind a rise and we jump into action. We move back and quickly wrap around the next rise to our right. We get ahead of the deer and a buck leads the pack. They slowly move out into the open in front of us, moving from left to right. Dad is braced off and ready to shoot. From over his shoulder I range the buck, 92 yards. I tell dad, BOOM! The smoke clears and the buck has dropped. He’s down but struggling to get up. Dad has no reloads on him. I reach for my pockets but all of my reloaders are in my pack!

I run back to the packs, grab a few reloads, and sprint back to dad who keeps an eye on his buck.

He reloads and puts the final kill shot on his buck. High fives all around!
63400F00-C421-43BD-8B05-D5D115C05F67.jpeg
Now to look for my buck. I didn’t see him with the group, but I also didn’t see him go down. I head towards where I last saw him, gun at the ready.
He’s laying under the same bush. Never even got out of his bed.
9E3972F9-9E33-456F-A095-79809766540F.jpeg
We drag the bucks a little ways and get a nice photo. Not too often that we both get a big game animal in the same photo together!
5B00C5C6-BC56-45A3-8BCB-0DC5025156D6.jpeg
After a few pictures we set off to work. It was a warm day, so we quartered the bucks and got them hanging in the shade of some nearby aspens.
4A652E95-DB49-48E5-850C-340219493824.jpeg
The pack out was pretty uneventful. Mostly downhill, not crazy far.
DDE5FFB9-56E1-45DD-875B-05311B9A2514.jpeg
D5F2BDA1-F3FC-44F1-9A12-127DEA762EA7.jpeg
Overall it was a fun trip, and it was good to get meat in the freezer.
Not bad for a third choice tag!

@RyGuy The conversations with your dad are eerily similar to what most of us on this forum could comment about.
Here is the key thing!! You are blessed to be hunting with him and to create memories together.
Congratulations on the bucks for both of you!

@RyGuy The conversations with your dad are eerily similar to what most of us on this forum could comment about.
Here is the key thing!! You are blessed to be hunting with him and to create memories together.
Congratulations on the bucks for both of you!
I agree. He drives me nuts sometimes! But we always figure things out, and I’m thankful for every day we hunt together.

from what i recall after our messaging is you got two more badass successful hunts to post up. keep em coming!

i'll be waiting

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back