Best Wild Game You Have Ever Made

View attachment 222847
Antelope backstrap vacuum sealed with a bit of rosemary and Montreal seasoning, cooked in the sous vide for a few hours, then finished with a quick, hot sear on the cast iron.
That is picture perfect!

Sous vide is a dream for wild game cooks. I've had a lot of luck doing a confit technique by packing the meat in a bit of fat in a vacuum bag and then cooking for hours.

I made confit goose gizzards that were great. Also packed a couple elk steaks with some homemade smoked beef tallow and they were amazing too.

My father and I made a tradition of grilling fresh wild game heart and liver the day we take an animal. Heat your grill screaming, surface-of-the-sun hot, slice the heart/liver thin, toss on the grill with a sprinkle of Worcestershire on each side and sear long enough to brown the outside. Inside should be medium rare, at most. Not a fancy meal but brings back lots of great memories.

My favorite backstrap/tenderloin preparation is a quick sear in a cast iron, followed by 4-5 minutes under a broiler and served with Hank Shaw's chimichurri (although I'll add a touch of red wine vinegar or balsamic): https://honest-food.net/chimichurri-recipe-venison/. The freshness of the chimichurri really accentuates the meat's natural flavor rather than covering it up.

For colder weather, I'm a big fan of Hank's chilindron recipe served over roasted garlic mashed potatoes and parsnips: https://honest-food.net/spanish-chilindron-stew/. Soul warming goodness after a long day of freezing your tail off in a cold blind.

Hard to beat fresh grilled elk. Crappie / panfish are the most under rated fish.
I have made a few things that I was told were restaurant quality.

Duck Pie from the book Monet's Garden. Duck,venison,game sausage marinated in Congac drained then placed in deep dish pie with a hole in the top and you fill and pour all the marinade in the hole in top crust as will fit and bake.
Wild game Cassole.
Chile Verde made with mountain lion loin.
Elk chile colorado.

Hard to beat fresh grilled elk. Crappie / panfish are the most under rated fish.
I have made a few things that I was told were restaurant quality.

Duck Pie from the book Monet's Garden. Duck,venison,game sausage marinated in Congac drained then placed in deep dish pie with a hole in the top and you fill and pour all the marinade in the hole as will fit and bake.
Wild game Cassole.
Chile Verde made with mountain lion loin.
Elk chile colorado.
Crappie is the best... walleye a close second. But damn if crappie ain't the best eating

Man, that's a tough one. Fried rabbit with mashed potatoes, white gravy and biscuits are up there.
Antelope kabobs from backstrap is always a winner.
Osso-Bucco is really good.
Braised, baked deer tenderloin is another fave.
Oh and fried crappie w/morels is hard to beat!

Those doe mule deer backs traps from montana was some of the finest deer meat I have ever had. Almost to the point that we considered going back just to hunt does. As sad as that is to say. Lol

Might as well cause there was no bucks to hunt in the entire area. But there was certainly no shortage of does.

C8D76F23-5027-48E3-ADE0-945A2CFD88F7.jpeg

My buddy and I made fowl kabobs one night at deer camp- we had skewers of duck, pheasant and woodcock.

The pheasant was dry, the duck (wood duck and mallard) was very good, but the woodcock was fantastic. Since then I’ve learned to cook woodcock breast meat a lot more like steak than chicken.

Some good stuff on here!

My personal favorite is elk pastrami added with a little horseradish and it's hard to beat for me.

Screenshot_20220908-132645.png

The wife really likes Pronghorn sweet Italian sausage on homemade pizza.

Screenshot_20220908-132628.png

As for my kids, they prefer striped bass over any other fish. I think it's mostly due to the fast and furious striper bite compared to crappie.

Screenshot_20220908-132721.png

I like a back strap pretty rare, and shanks are one of my go-to favorites. Then, there are potstickers of the antelope or venison verity. Hard choice…

Whitetail rib roast seared then grilled, served with horseradish.

494EDB8D-588A-4319-B419-CEE5B16736B8.jpeg

71AD9F91-7D9D-4CC8-83E2-830244509199.jpeg

Potstickers. Sweet, spicy, salty, garlic potstickers. Mmmmm

9C01A950-CF47-458D-B5A3-228B158DF23F.jpeg

5B8ED113-D5A2-4AA2-935A-0F452BC6A31B.jpeg

DFE143FE-8199-47A2-B6FC-FF307965ED9A.jpeg

No pics but;
1.Elk heart sliced thin, salt/peppered, light flour, flash fried in bacon grease right next to the tent day of the kill.
2.Twice tenderized elk round or tenderloin...chicken fried with cream pepper gravy
3.Beer battered and deep fried frog legs, dove, quail, flying rib eye
4.White/yellow mixed corn meal or Zatarain'd deep friend crappie or catfish

*2,3,4 tied

#1 is way out front
NHY, if it’s not too much, I’d love to see a post and pics of that chicken fried elk. I’ve failed miserably at my chicken fried attempts. I realize you have to pass a chicken fried test in Texas before they let you vote so I’m sure your method is choice.

NHY, if it’s not too much, I’d love to see a post and pics of that chicken fried elk. I’ve failed miserably at my chicken fried attempts. I realize you have to pass a chicken fried test in Texas before they let you vote so I’m sure your method is choice.
Nothing could be simpler shanner...til you're out of elk. The real trick is gravy viscosity & correct pepper dosage. Perfect gravy is taste bud camo.

Back