BEST "WALKIE TALKIE"?

I used a Rocky Talkie recently for backcountry skiing. They are pretty slick. I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between all of them. This one was built pretty burly and had a carabiner and a strap on it, so it certainly looked/felt outdoorsy.

I do an annual trip with a few friends from different parts of the state. One of them has some Baofeng radios programmed to GMRS frequencies. We have been able to communicate over many miles with them to arrange what time we all want to meet back at the wall tent. They do take some technical know how to set up correctly and you're supposed to get your GMRS license from the FCC as well.

Been using the Baofeng for 4 or 5 years now. They work well. Probably 20 of us using them in our group. No issues

Does anyone have a direct comparison between these Baofeng models and the Garmin Rino? Reception wise, obviously.

Does anyone have a direct comparison between these Baofeng models and the Garmin Rino? Reception wise, obviously.
Baofeng can do 8 watts, Garmin is 5. Baofeng will be clearer. Wattage doesn’t really translate to distance, but to clarity. Both could probably do 5 miles on the GMRS frequencies. Looks like you can text on the Garmin though. Baofeng is admittedly kind of difficult to use if you don’t have the technical know-how. You’ll have to reprogram it to use on GMRS frequencies if you want to use it legally without a HAM operator license (it’s technically a HAM radio). You’ll have to get that license from the FCC to use either legally. It’s just a $35 fee (they lowered it a year ago). No one is likely to check or catch you, but it is a thing.

Google “best walkie talkies outdoor gear lab” or something along those lines. They don’t have the Garmin to compare, but gives a rundown of some good one.

Also, check this article out:

Radio stuff is kind of confusing to my brain. Surprised there isn’t an old HAM nerd on here who hasn’t chimed in.

Back