Best Value Trailcam brand/model

VikingsGuy

I know this topic comes up from time to time, but given the pace of tech change I could use a fresh look from the HT trail cam experts. So, if you wanted to buy 7 or 8 trail cams right now, and didn't want to take out a second mortgage, what brand/model would you go with. The weather is northern MN so very cold in the winter with plenty of snow, and fairly wet in the spring and fall. Also, these would be at a remote location so good battery life is a consideration. Cellular is a nice to have but definitely not a must-have if it breaks the bank. Reliability is key. I have low tolerance for junk that doesn't work. Usable quality is important, but these aren't going on the wall so I wouldn't rate 4k type resolution as a must.

So what say you?

Reconyx is pretty much the best if you can afford them.

https://www.reconyx.com/

I have some that I picked up used almost 10 years ago that are still chugging away. They actually repair them if they break which they don’t very often but if they do it is like $65 for the repair. They have a 5 year warranty. They have the best triggers for sure. If you want to actually catch the animals in a non bait situation they are the best.

I’ve got 4 now. Before them I had a lot of different brands and seemed like all had issues.

They have a non cellular one for $400 but if you are looking for as many as you say that is going to be $. I would personally say you are better off with fewer good cameras than a bunch of junk cameras though.

I will say that it has been a long time since I have researched them. I would think all the brands have improved quite a bit.

I’d stay away from SpyPoint. I have two and have not been very pleased with them. They take about 100 pics of phantom yetis and snipes for every one real critter. And one of them randomly reverts to thinking it’s January 1, 2018.

I recently got a couple of Muddys from Sportsman’s, they’re cellular thru Verizon, unlimited plan is $15 per month and the camera seems to work well. Planning on picking up a couple more I’m thinking

I have had the best longevity and reliability out of the Bushnell cameras of those I have tried to this point.

I have tried:

Bushnell ( best by far for the price)
Browning ( jury is still out)
Cuddeback ( overpriced)
Moultrie (meh) got 3 years out of one
Wildgame Innovations ( junk)
Tasco ( junk)

Next on my list to try is Reconyx or Tactacam based on rave reviews received by folks I have talked to that have used them.

I recently got a couple of Muddys from Sportsman’s, they’re cellular thru Verizon, unlimited plan is $15 per month and the camera seems to work well. Planning on picking up a couple more I’m thinking
Per month per camera? Or multiple cameras on one account?

Reconyx or exodus are the best of the best. You pay for them but they’ll last a long time. I have reconyx cams that have been working for over 10 years. People say it’s stupid to spend that kind of money but will buy a 100 dollar cam every other year. I’m money ahead over 10 years buying quality

If I were going for a budget cellular it would be the Tactacam Reveal probably. The best budget friendly non cellular are the stealthcams, in my opinion. There are better cams in both categories for sure but as far as budget goes those two are my recommendations.

I like my tactacams i have two. I also have the solar panels for mine. I didnt have a battery issue this winter with them with the panel up here in North Dakota. I think they were running a deal this week for $100/camera.

If I were going for a budget cellular it would be the Tactacam Reveal probably. The best budget friendly non cellular are the stealthcams, in my opinion. There are better cams in both categories for sure but as far as budget goes those two are my recommendations.
I think I am going to buy a couple of these for my new property in Colorado more as security cameras than game cameras. I'm thinking 2 or 3 on or near the roads entering the property might catch a few animals and hopefully not catch very many trespassers. I'll use some of my non-cellular Reconyx cameras more to specifically target game animals.

I think I am going to buy a couple of these for my new property in Colorado more as security cameras than game cameras. I'm thinking 2 or 3 on or near the roads entering the property might catch a few animals and hopefully not catch very many trespassers. I'll use some of my non-cellular Reconyx cameras more to specifically target game animals.
That’s what I’m using a couple of mine for. A neighbor of mine had some at his place and someone smashed em up so it helps to get em tucked away if you’re able.

I have 6 Bushnell HD. Lithium batteries last over 2 years. I keep mine up all year and get about 5000 pics per camera each year.

It wasn't my original plan, but I left 3 trail cameras out though this past winter. They were around 7,000ft elevation in Idaho mountains, so it was below freezing most of the time they were out there.

I used 1 Bushnell, 1 Browning, and 1 Spypoint. None were perfect, none were terrible.

When I picked them up in April, I was surprised to see that the Bushnell and Browning still had more than 50% life remaining on plain alkaline AA batteries. The Spypoint is solar, and appeared to remain fully charged.

All my cameras took photos with no animal in the frame. All of them captured some great photos of wildlife too. Photo quality from all of them is good enough for the intended purpose, but not good enough to want a framed print made.

I'd rate the Bushnell slightly higher than the other brands. It has a good range of settings, takes a somewhat lower percentage of no-animal photos, and the outer case is still its original color. My Browning started turning blue (from sunlight damage, I assume) so I wrapped it in camo tape before setting it out this winter. The Browning also seems to take more empty photos. The Spypoint has some good features but limited settings, and some software bugs that caused me problems prior to this setup.

Like most things, reliability and cheap don't necessarily go together. Battery life and reliably triggering and capturing photos is going to be better on a non-cell cam than a cell cam but it's hard to deny the huge advantage from not having to pull cards and put human intrusion in the woods to check cams. Cell cams generally recover MUCH slower after triggering for a picture before triggering again which is prone to cause missed deer.

Tactacam seems to be the most popular thing going for budget cell cams but I wouldn't expect them to be tops in reliability. I think they are a good option if volume of cell cams per $ is a major concern. I don't like that they dont transmit bursts as my reveal SK (on batch upload) takes about 20 seconds before it can recover from a picture and trigger again. There is a huge tactacam reveal thread on archerytalk where a tactacam guy helps a lot of people through function issues. You can get reveal X models cheap right now. I've read a number of people having cell reception issues with that model though.

I've moved to just buying Ridgetec Outlook cell cams ($300). They have been reliable, good detection circuit, easy on batteries, no glow flash, have the best configuration options, cheaper data plans, and have the best cellular video options ive seen. I'd look at them or spartan go cams for reliable cell cams at sub reconyx price points.

Never splurged for a reconyx but feel comfortable saying they are another step up.

Browning non-cell cams have good detection circuits, take pretty good pictures, good battery life, have been reliable for us, and can be had for the low $100s. Negatives are they are prone to false triggers if put on a tree that moves a lot or if angled certain ways towards the sun. I'd advise against browning cell cams based on having 8 total made up of 3 different models out last season.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back