Best upland gun dog breed?

Often there is more variety within a breed than breed to breed. For my needs, I'm partial to the continental or versatile breeds. If I only hunted waterfowl, I'd think differently.

Find ppl who hunt what you like, in the method you like, and ask them where they got their dogs.

You need to know what know what of hunting you want to do, and what kinda ND of dog you want. You also have to take into account the 9 months you aren't hunting them.

So, what kind of dog are you looking for a d what know ND of time commitment are you willing to make to train the dog?

Agree with Ben. What type of hunting and do you want a pointer or flusher? Any waterfowl? Home life with or without kids? Inside dog or outside dog? So many variables.

I will say this, it is hard to beat a good lab for an overall great hunting and family dog. We are toying with the idea of breeding ours this spring through our breeder due to friends wanting one like our dog.

We have a Springer from Flushem high kennels in Glendive, MT. We talked with him about what we wanted and went to the field and watched several dogs work. We've had 2 Springers and they've been great.

Might be a little different, but have some experience with Duck Tollers and they’re fun little dogs for hunting and family

I grew up with pointers (Griffons, Weimeraners, GSPs) and a pointing Lab, all of which were great dogs, both as family members and in the field. However, my wife and I went the exact opposite direction and got a Field Bred English Cocker Spaniel (https://www.idahoenglishcockers.com/)- she's obviously a flusher, and not a pointer, and isn't built physically for hitting vast CRP fields all day or retrieving wounded Honkers, as she's only 26lbs, but for grouse hunting- both sharptail and mountain grouse-, a day of thick pheasant cover, or most importantly, around the house, she's been perfect for us. Absolutely the happiest, most well mannered and social dog, who hunts cover with Gen. Sherman in mind- Scorched Earth.image1 (1).jpegIMG_9116 (1).jpg

I got a dog from Silver Buckle Kennel in Kalispell. He's perfect around the house and almost perfect in the field. I did exactly zero training. He is kinda ugly and my kids don't like that he's not soft to pet.
@neffa3
Hey Buddy, we got our male from Silver Buckle! Big Ed was his dad.

Yeah, hit or miss with Goldens. Seen some really great ones over the years. The last one was a bully, ,. picked a fight with every dog that came close . He wasn't too smart jumping my malamute.
Not all goldens are created equal. You gotta do some serious homework (and pay some real money).

Reactions: Hem
Back