Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Best Tire Chains OPINIONS Colorado Snow AND Mud OFFROAD

I was reading through my owner's manual and the size tires I have warned against the use of tire chains. I have a 2016 Silverado and the size tires have (Cooper AT3 XL 265/70/R18). My question is this warning for all four tires or just the front? I have never had tire chains before. I am heading to Colorado in November and I don't want to chance getting struck in the backcountry.
The places I have used tire chains here in Colorado, have never needed chains on all four tires. Putting them on front or rear depends on the situation. For the most part I have always put them on the up hill side when steep and on the rear when relatively flat. Putting them on the rear while going down hill will keep your back end behind you I have learned. As for your manual saying not to use them I can’t help as every vehicle I have owned is 10 or more years older. Maybe one of those manufacturer not wanting to take responsibility. My suggestion for keeping from getting stuck in the backcountry here is have chains, know how to put them on laying in the mud or snow, and put them on when you need them and not before you start getting stuck cause if you get stuck with tire chains and 4-wheel drive in your screwed. The dirt on the BLM roads and forest roads turns to grease here when it snows all night and then melts the next day in November. Chains have saved me when the road is nice and frozen and helps you get in at 4:00am and it is thawed out by the evening when you get back to the truck.

I was reading through my owner's manual and the size tires I have warned against the use of tire chains. I have a 2016 Silverado and the size tires have (Cooper AT3 XL 265/70/R18). My question is this warning for all four tires or just the front? I have never had tire chains before. I am heading to Colorado in November and I don't want to chance getting struck in the backcountry.
I think the manufacturer wants to limit their liability to any damage done to the drivetrain and make those warnings. I will usually chain up all 4, eventually you will need to or you’re not really testing the conditions of the snow.

I have a 2022 Chevy 3500 and I got a complete set of 4 “V” bar cam lock chains for it. I also took the first set of 2 I bought to make sure they would clear on the front end before I got a set of 4.

If I decided to chain up 2 tires, I would always chain up the front first…

If you are only going to chain up 2 do the front. You can break and you can steer. Chain up the rear only will shove you off the mountain.

If on gentle flat ground like shrapnel’s pics rear only might work.

I think the manufacturer wants to limit their liability to any damage done to the drivetrain and make those warnings. I will usually chain up all 4, eventually you will need to or you’re not really testing the conditions of the snow.

I have a 2022 Chevy 3500 and I got a complete set of 4 “V” bar cam lock chains for it. I also took the first set of 2 I bought to make sure they would clear on the front end before I got a set of 4.

When you refer to clearing are you talking about how much clearance you have while turning the wheel?

Clear the wheel wells while turning and also during up travel. Clear the UCA/upper ball joint during down travel.

To JLS’ statement: Run your hand behind the top of front tire and see if you have a few inches of clearance in there.

On my truck you can’t use them up front as the steering knuckle connection to the upper ball joint and upper control arm is right behind the top of the tire on the inner sidewall.

That said, I’ve only had to use them a few times to get myself out of a pickle, and not into one.

When you refer to clearing are you talking about how much clearance you have while turning the wheel?
The upper suspension on the 2022 is much closer to the tire and wheel than the older trucks. The clearance for the tire turning inside the wheel well isn't as much a concern as the suspension on the front end where the steering and suspension are dangerously close to the chain when it is on the tire...

Add a spool of wire for tying back the tail too.

My semis I have used just the Truckstop cheap stuff available.

And the army only ever issued ladder with camlock.

In all instances…

Practice before you needed them was critical.

Thank you for the information. What brand of chains do you like or recommend?

Thank you for the information. What brand of chains do you like or recommend?
I don’t know what brand, I just searched the web until I found tire chains listed in my tire size and had “V” bars and camlocks. They are worth the money and you don’t have to waste time with rubber snubbers that break and cost you a chain…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back