Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Best state provided hunting/fishing apps?

MO Betta

Just noticed that Kansas has a new hunting/fishing app and it got me to thinking about the different state provided apps, which are better or worse and what I like and don't like about them.

Out of the ones you have/have used, which do you like best and why? Which ones do you like least? Anything missing from all of them you wish would be added?

Colorado has a fishing app, it’s ok. it shows the lakes and streams and what fish are in each. Besides that it’s kinda worthless.

IA made an interactive public hunting app several years ago. It works fine for the most part, except the info on county land is often inaccurate, ex. lists a parcel as open to hunting but a sign along the road says it isn’t, or sometimes county land open to hunting isn’t in the database at all.

California has a really good hunting app. I’m not sure if the app is run by state of California though. But it has all the info for California. Regulations, seasons, dates, harvest statics, number of points needed to draw from 3 previous years. Number of tags random vs preference points etc... I’m actually surprised by how good it is for a free app. Not sure I’m allowed to post a link bcuz they’re not a sponsor though.

Missouri, hands down. You can buy, notch, and telecheck a license all from your phone.

Easy to navigate, decent speed, etc. Wish more states would pick up the model.

@R.K. it is a good one for sure. The only thing a little off with Missouri's is the number of different apps (MO Hunting, MO Fishing, MO Outdoors), I would like if they took the public hunting access part from the MO Outdoors app and integrated it into the MO Hunting app. I also wish that purchases didn't take you out of the app to the mobile website & have you log in again. Other than that I am pretty satisfied with the apps here, having your tag in digital form and being able to do it all from your phone is great. Especially if you have a separate wallet like I do that holds all licenses and permits with your hunting gear and end up forgetting it when you go fishing.

The new Kansas one is pretty similar to Missouri's, keeps digital copies of your purchased permits, not quite as fleshed out (most of it is just links to their website). I'll have to see when I get a tag on the app (didn't hunt turkey in Kansas this spring) if it lets you notch on there. If @kansasdad used it this spring he may know.

The worst attempt of a digital solution I have come across so far is Nebraska's version. 21 page PDF instructing you on how to access, purchase and save a mobile permit (mobile browser, bookmark, log in and purchase on their website specific to mobile devices, and taking screenshots).

Keep them coming guys, I'm curious if there is something a state is providing that you really like or something you think would be handy to have. Colorado's Match a Hatch app looked to be pretty handy.

@JeffJ I wasn't aware of the app until this thread popped up. My old phone's memory was so full that I couldn't take another photo or add an app. New phone this week so I'm going to add it, but reading the reviews, most are lukewarm.

(Now with the new phone I can finally add OnX and the Inreach apps and be able to know where I stand and text Mrs kansasdad when I'm down in a verizon blackhole)

Kansas has done a pretty poor job promoting it, I stumbled upon it right before I posted this thread. Missouri promotes their apps a lot on social media.

I don't know if it's the Best but It took me 2 years to get Iowa to have the correct State line on the Mississippi River and Missouri River on there app.
On the Missour River in the 1950's the river was straighten and there is Iowa land west of the River and Nebrasaka land east of the river also. Google Maps shows the Rivers as the State line and that is in correct.
The Mississippi River Google shows the river channel for barges and again that is incorrect, it is when the States where formed is where the river channel use to be. You need to know this as there is not a recipital agreement to hunt either side by Iowa and Illinios and Wisconsin. So you need to know what State you are hunting in.
Just FYI when I was in the Marine Corps I surveyed in Artillery pieces and was a surveyor and know how to use a map and compass very well. So my vote is for Iowa for correcting this error.

Back