Best Scope for $200 to $250 for a .243 ???

JoseCuervo

I used to always buy the old Leupold VariX-II for $199 on all my "miscellaneous" guns. Always seemed like a helluva bargain on a great scope.

Well, I have somehow managed to give away some of the scopes (to friends/kids who had crappy scopes on guns), or, somehow decided the scope was sold/given with a rifle...

I have a Savage .243 that has always seemed to shoot amazingly well with the crappy "Combo Package" scope that came with it. (I think it is a Simmons). The scope is pretty crappy during twilight/first light.

Never thought I would like a Savage, never thought I would like a .243.... But, for some reason, this gun has grown on me and deserves better than that crappy Simmons.

Given that I only paid $250 for the gun/scope originally, I want to set my budget at $200-$250 for a variable 3x9 (or 3.5x10) scope.

What is the "bestest" bargain out there on a "good enough" scope?

I have a Burris Fullfield II on my .338 win.mag. It's been on several mountain hunts, and to Alaska twice, and hasn't moved at all. Optics are good for the money.

I got a 300 win mag (Savage) for my first big game rifle and it came with a Tasco and case and trigger lock for $299. I'd recomend NOT a Tasco ;)

The bushnell elite 3200 is a pretty good weatherproof hunting scope. We have a couple of them and I think they're a great deal.
The vortex diamondback probably has better glass, but they're a bit bulkier and have kind of touchy eye relief. Probably not as good of a hunting scope.

A dude that drives a Benz should not be worried about dropping some coin on glass! :)

I would have to say look at the Bushnells for that price as well...very good price performance IMO.

I bought a leupold 3x9 for just under $200 at wal-mart. It's worked well for me (other than my own bad shooting). I believe it is a rifleman.

I would look at the Bushnell 3200 line before the Burris Fullfield II. I have both and the Bushnell has better glass and low light abilities. Nothing wrong with the Burris, but the Bushnell is better in my opinion.

VX1 or Burris FFII

The VX1 is virtually the same scope as the old Vari X 2, the Burris scope is somewhere between the new VX2 and VX3 optically. The Weaver Grandslams are a decent scope and as good or better than a VX3.

I have probably half a dozen VX1's on various rifles and have served me well over the years. Actually I stopped "wasting" money on rilfe scopes a long time ago... It hasn't cost me an animal yet, and unless I start hunting in the dark I doubt it will.

Busnell Banner...I've got 2 with the adjustable objective and they preform well for the price point of around $100-$150.

My first rifle was a bolt ruger .243. I topped it with what I could afford at the time a fixed Leupold 4X.

I think you can pick up the same score these days for right what you're looking to pay, granted it's not a variable.

Jose, I have 270wsm Savage that came with the Simmons scope. I couldn't ever get it to sight in. After having someone look at it they laughed and said maybe try a better scope:rolleyes: I found this Pentax Gameseeker with the ballistic drop recticle and love it. It is really clear and so far my gun is now consistent. The price is incredible right now on either the 40mm or the 50mm. I got it out of the Sportsmansguide. I now have a Leupold that is going onto a new gun here in the next couple weeks. Can't wait:D

I looked at a ton of scopes at the SHOT show, most are unbelievably great value for the money compared to scopes made a few years back. Right now I am a 100% Leupold user, I am considering the Redfield for my next rifle as it impressed me as a super scope for the money AND it is a Leupold product and will be backed up with a great warranty.

Check out this link http://www.opticstalk.com/ , you will find quite a bit of discussion on scope/price comparison backed up by rational & somewhat objective findings. It appears for that price the Nikon Primos (Monark) is the favored one.

I have a vx 1 on my 300wsm and like it. Pack it on a horse every year and seems to hold up good. I bought my little brother a 3x9x50 rifleman for Christmas for around 200 haven't tried it out yet.

Last edited:
Had the same problem on my .300wsm Savage with the crappy simmons scope. I just upgraded to a Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 with the BDC and so far it has been fantastic. Got it in a package deal from Cabela's with a mediocre at best range finder for $250.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back