Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Best pack for the money???

I have a Kuiu Icon Pro 7200, that I switch out with a 1800 w/ the 7200's lid for a daypack. One of my sons has the same pack. Another son has that SG Sky 5900. I purchased all three packs. I personally love my son's SG. Next pack I invest in will probably be a SG or Kifaru. That being said, my Kuiu has done the job without any major issues- the SG just feels better on the back and seems to be better built overall.

I have a SG sky 6900 and MR marshall which I won in a raffle. The SG is my goto regardless of the occasion. The Xcurve frame fits me like a glove. Also can't recommend the rifle sling enough.

Id say try on as many as you can, ive carried weight in a kuiu, Kifaru, stone glacier, mystery ranch, and Exo. All fit different and all had things i liked better and things id change. They can all haul an elk out so you really cant go wrong but imo just based on comfort, customer service, and quality, id stick with Kifaru/SG/Exo. Those are the top 3 for me by a good margin from my personal use. From there go with whichever one fits your frame the best, then at last pick the best bag layout for your hunting style.

Another option id look at if you wanted to spend a little less would be one of the outdoorsman packs. I havent carried one personally but my brother got one dirt cheap on craigslist and that thing is light, easy to clean, and has packed out some really heavy loads without any complaints from him.

Just saw this pack hit the classifieds on Rokslide. Seems like a very good deal on a really good pack.

My guess is that it will be sold within the day.

There are 2 Dana shortbeds on 24hourcampfire right now, $150 for both. There is an older Arc'teryx Bora on Rokslide for like $125. I'd use any of those before a low to med quality "hunting" pack.

I've been pretty impressed with my MR Metcalf. I was initially a little put off that its kind of a heavy pack, but its certainly got it where it counts as far as a back country pack goes. The material is very tough and tear resistant and I've had it out in some pretty unpleasant weather. Its water proof, or well, water resistant anyway. So far I've packed out a mule deer, an elk, and a bear. It handles heavy loads as comfortably as can be expected, the ability to adjust the frame to the user is a very nice feature. I believe I got mine for $375 from Optics Planet when they were having a sale.

The best pack for the money is a Kuiu pack. But it's far from the best pack. I bought the 7200 icon pro last year on a 25% off sale and it's the best pack $400 will get you. But it's a backpacking pack for less than 60 lbs imo. Once I get over 60lbs, the narrow straps are painful and the shoulder pads are not long enough - among other more minor problems.

I am currently having an internal battle between a kifaru muskeg and a SG. I've been very good at the buy once cry once for most gear the last several years, but I will now be buying my 3rd pack in 5 years.

Stone Glacier.
I’m planning to go with the Stone Glacier given the fact that it’s American made and both of the main guys up there at SG Kurt and Pete are both successful unlimited sheep hunters and that’s what mine is mostly gonna be used for so I know those guys know what it takes in the Beartooths.

I had the opportunity to stop by Stone Glacier in Bozeman while I was in Montana scouting the unlimiteds. I went with the XCurve Minimalist + Access bag for my scouting trip and It worked great. Shown is a picture of how I ran it and a picture of me with Pete Muennich from SG. I plan to use the 6900 Sky Talus bag on it. I tried the Keychain frame with 50 lbs and the XCurveb with the same weight and it felt much better to me on XCurve. It was the clear choice for me. The guys at Stone Glacier were super helpful in helping me find what I was looking for and helping me get it set up right. That personal touch means a lot in today’s consumer and big box store market. Thanks for all your guys input on what brands you liked and didn’t like.

Pete is a damn good guy! Everyone at SG is. Great choice of pack. Your really gonna love it when it's loaded with a solid "twister buck" from the ULs. You even got a picture with a unlimited ram in the background.......must be an omen.

Peter, Kurt and everybody at SG are some of the best guys I know. And it doesn’t hurt that they make the best backpacks you can buy.

As others have said, there are so many good options. It really depends on personal preference. For me, I upgraded to a MR Metcalf on the guide light frame and I absolutely love it.

Pete is a damn good guy! Everyone at SG is.

Pete spent probably 45 min with me at the store getting my pack adjusted right, helping me get it set up the way I wanted, etc.

Those guys are serious about getting you set up correctly.

Pete is a damn good guy! Everyone at SG is. Great choice of pack. Your really gonna love it when it's loaded with a solid "twister buck" from the ULs. You even got a picture with a unlimited ram in the background.......must be an omen.
Yessir I believe Pete killed that one himself. Everyone at SG seemed like top notch guys. Didn’t get to meet Kurt as he wasn’t there but the rest of the guys and Becky were great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back