best deer hauling cart ?

Backpack style is probably my preferred but I do have a cart for when I'm hunting near the truck. Mine is an older version of the big heavy Cabela's Deluxe. As long as there aren't a lot of shrubs or clumps of grass, it is quite handy.

Sometimes your back won't tolerate heavy loads. Ive been there.

I've used the aluminum cart pictured below (made by guide gear, likely in China). It's lightweight, and I've rigged my mountain bike rear rack to hold it when folded up. I use it all winter long to haul my waterfowl gear and decoys, too.

I've heard guys rave about the game tote (gametote.com), because it can be used on uneven ground and with forest debris. It's pricey, though.
image.jpeg

My buddy welded up this cart. We use it on old, closed logging roads and relatively flat trails where bikes and carts are allowed. On this day, three of us were able to get two elk and our camp back to the truck. After packing the elk and camping gear a mile and a half through steep cross country it sure was nice to put the racks and an elk and a half on the cart for the remaining two miles.

Attachments

• 2012 Idaho bull elk zone 29 011.jpg
    2012 Idaho bull elk zone 29 011.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 1,073
Last edited:
My buddy welded up this cart. We use it on old, closed logging roads and relatively flat trails where bikes and carts are allowed. On this day, three of us were able to get two elk and our camp back to the truck. After packing the elk and camping gear a mile and a half through steep cross country it sure was nice to put the racks and an elk and a half on the cart for the remaining two miles.

Is that a single wheel cart?

Is that a single wheel cart?[/QUOTE

Yep, a single heavy duty mountain bike tire and rim. This trip really maxed it out. We usually only have one elk or our camp gear in it, but with three elk down in three days we didn't want to make another trip up the hill.

Home made
One is a plastic two wheeled wheel Barrow it works the best .
The other one is a "Hand cart" with dual wheels

111aaa deer 3.jpg

I have used the Cabelas cart, but IMO the big problem with 2-wheeled carts is that unless you are on a road or maintained trail you cannot miss the rocks. One wheel is always going over a rock. I use a wheelbarrow with a piece of plywood instead of the pan, and with a "lift kit" - another piece of wood between the wheel mounts and the handles. I can go around rocks, and there is enough clearance for most situations. The wheelbarrow breaks down into pieces and lives in the truck on a hunting trip. With it and a frame pack, an elk takes two trips. The big problem is logs.

Last edited:
Pac orse if you can find one. Its amazing and packable but no longer made. the Pack wheel it the next best for smaller loads both are for back country hunting.

I use the one Sierrahunter had a picture of.

Stage it at the bottom of the moutain (1 mile to the cart dragging downhill), then a 2 mile pull along mostly flat ground.

Difficult to use with 1 person on anthing but flat ground, so dragging is easier.

Make sure you balance the weight if the deer over the wheels and tie him down good or the weight will shift and it becomes exponentially harder to pull!

Awesome cart guys! My dad and I Made a similar one. Love it! Congrats on the elk too!

Folded up for the truck/SUV ride.

Last edited:
Sawtooth I finally caught the fact that your cart is a Mtn bike wheel. I did not see any brake cables or handles is that correct? Have you tried to figure out a way to add some bike brakes to it?

I wonder if it would be possible to change out the bike tire with a motorcycle tire and add brakes like we have. I will attach a couple pics of the wheel assembly if that helps. No typing very well as I just had shoulder surgery. Everything is cut short.

Pics with cart folded up.

Last edited:
6 mm Remington,
We had a motor cycle tire on an older version but switched it out to a bike tire to reduce the weight. Each year we keep planning to add a braking system but then that project gets put on the back burner. It would definitely be something I would do if I was building a new cart. I have had more than a couple wild rides when I was the guy in the front in some of the steeper terrain we have been on.

I have the same cart sierrahunter posted a picture of. My experience with carts is that they work great on roads or trails that are as wide as the cart is. Where they don't work great is in area where you have to go over logs, rocks, or threw any kind of tall grass or brush. The wheels just get stuck on sticks and the cart wants to tip over on it's side when going over logs and rocks. My cart just sits in my garage now and I almost never use it.

I really like using a sled with a some kind of handle off the rope these days. It works great weather there is snow on the ground or not. The only condition that it doesn't work well in is across dry dirt. Plus there are TONS of uses for the sled outside of use during hunting season.

I would just mention that if you are in country that requires side hilling on any kind of grade neither a cart or sled will be very helpful. In this case your best option is to quarter your game and pack it out in manageable loads.

Back