Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Best dates for elk rut?

Flatrock

Just curious what some of you experienced elk hunter's would consider to be the best dates for hunting the rut, all other things considered equal? Do any of you try to avoid hunting during a full moon? I have to put in my vacation requests for next year and might try and bowhunt elk next year and am trying to decide which weeks to request. Roughly September 15-25???

it really depends on where you are hunting,,,out here in oregon id say more like sept 20th to oct 10th ,also depends on the weather,,,your right full moon is generally not good,,,usually rut kicks in sooner the further north you are and later to the south by a little.

North Idaho = 15th through the 30th. The last two years have had late rut action on into October.

Dirk

My experience hunting elk in the rut is a fraction of most guys on here. That said, it seems like every year, everyone's surprised how late the rut is that year.

In my very limited experience, it seems like it starts around the September 15, peaks around Oct 1, and tails off around Oct 15.

I think the dates you have will work great for you.I've had real good action as early as the 13th,but generally after the 18th is best for me

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back