Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bergara B14 issues / upgrade

Update: I got to talk to the Gun Smith today. He blue printed the action and lapped the lugs. He also checked the crown. The crown was off top to bottom 4 thousands so he recut it.

Update: I got to talk to the Gun Smith today. He blue printed the action and lapped the lugs. He also checked the crown. The crown was off top to bottom 4 thousands so he recut it.

Blue printed the action. What all did he do? That’s a lot of work and $ to screw on a factory barrel IMO.
But it looks like it’s a shooter so that’s all the matters in the end.

He Squared the action face, threads, and lugs on the action.

I’m not questioning your gunsmith as I’ve never met him or his work but I don’t see how he could true the threads and still install the factory barrel which is already threaded and have a proper fit. The face and lugs are a good idea definitely. Like I said it shoots great and I’d be more than happy with those results.

I’m not questioning your gunsmith as I’ve never met him or his work but I don’t see how he could true the threads and still install the factory barrel which is already threaded and have a proper fit. The face and lugs are a good idea definitely. Like I said it shoots great and I’d be more than happy with those results.

There is enough material to cut a couple thousands off of the action. Then recut and rechamber the barrel with out noticing any obvious lines gaps between the barrel and stock.

Coulda tricked out a Remington. mtmuley

Already got one of those, and had I not gotten a rare Friday gun this would of been cheaper.

All total I have a 1100 in to a gun that can print cloverleafs. Not to bad compared to what some of the custom guns run.

There is enough material to cut a couple thousands off of the action. Then recut and rechamber the barrel with out noticing any obvious lines gaps between the barrel and stock.

I understand cutting the action face and lug abutments and squaring the bolt face/lugs and setting the barrel back and rechambering to set headspace.
What I’m wondering is if he stated he recut or trued the action threads bigger/concentric? If so he couldn’t have threaded the existing barrel to fit without cutting all the factory threads off which is way more involved than a setback.

Just curiosity anyway. I do agree you got a great shooting rifle and I’m sure now much more confident in it.

Did final load develop today, settled on this load for elk. Running 65.5g of RL26 and Fed 215m gets me to an average 3150FPS with the Barnes TTSX 150. The extreme spread is a little higher than I liked but I think most of that is the chronograph.

It’s also very picky on brass. This group was shot with once fired Nosler. The group shot with new Hornady grew to 1.25”. With used Hornady it grew to over 2”.

That will work. RL26 is sure popular right now.
Interesting on the brass. I’d bet it’s more due to neck thickness and variations in it in the hornady brass. Nosler brass is pretty consistent from my experiences with it.

I think it’s in the neck thickness too, you can feel the difference in neck tension on the press when you seat bullets in the 3 next to each other.

I tried my hand at annealing the used Hornady, it didn’t go so well. The groups opened up to 3”. I ended up pitching the whole lot as I had a primer blow out too.

Well I got a chance to air this rifle out today to 475 yards. I had a slight cross breeze gusting to 10mph. Group came out to 4” with the new Hornady brass. Not to shabby all things considered. I would expect it to tighten up with the Nosler brass and less wind gusts. 106987

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back