MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Beginner Trapper Success

Bobcat Trapping Update: Cats-3 Kody-0

Set two traps in a new area with lots of cat sign and within a week one was set off and the bait was stolen from both. On the first trap it appear the cat set off the trap but maybe wasn't completely in and backed out very quickly. After further investigation I discovered that the cat found the latch opening in the back of the trap that I stick the bait in through and learned he could open it up. It appear based on bobcat hair and blood that he stuck his paw through the opening to get my rabbit. There was more bobcat hair around the trap where he had been trying to get back in. I have now wired the rabbit to the back of the trap and the baiting latch closed so hopefully he has to go in normally. I also went night hunting at the spot where the traps are and called him in but couldn't get a shot as he watched from atop some cliffs.

Attachments

• IMG_7198.jpg
    IMG_7198.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7225.jpg
    IMG_7225.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7227.jpg
    IMG_7227.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 13
Another trapping update:

I caught skunk in one of my traps which was not fun to deal with but the funny part was a picture I got from my trail cam that showed a decent sized bobcat checking the skunk out while he was caught in the trap.

Attachments

• EF1D0974-0003-4B02-8EE6-814AC519A870.png
    EF1D0974-0003-4B02-8EE6-814AC519A870.png
    553.2 KB · Views: 14
Thats good. Do you think the fact that it sprayed will keep that Bobcat in the picture away for a few days?

Thats good. Do you think the fact that it sprayed will keep that Bobcat in the picture away for a few days?

I wouldn’t think so as the scent lure I use smells exactly like skunk. I believe they might think what ever was in the trap got sprayed and is maybe weak or dead.

Close call. He sprayed in the area when I shot but didn’t spray me directly.
Don't know where you shot the skunk. But I've found if you shoot them in the heart/lung area they are less likely to spray then on head shots. Congratulations on the cat!

Back