Bear Season!

Guy

Washington's bear season starts August 1st, right around the corner!

My son and I have done well on black bear here in Washington before and I hope to hunt pretty seriously for bear again this year. No baiting allowed. No hound hunting either here. So, it's "spot and stalk" for the most part, though I've also had one come in to my mouth-blown predator call. That got intense.

My son uses a 30-06 Model of 1917, sporterized, with 165 grain Nosler Partition bullets that I handload for the old rifle.

I have used both my 30-06 and the 375 H&H Ruger Number One single shot to take black bear. I think I'm going with the 375 again this year. No reason not to, it works great and is fun to carry and shoot. I use a 260 grain Nosler Accubond when I hunt with the 375.

We won't have to go far, the local hills hold quite a few bear.

Pt4t2CGh.jpg

Anyone else bear hunting this season? When and where?

Regards, Guy

Go get em Guy! I just had shoulder surgery on my left side a couple months ago. I didn't get out this spring because of it. Hopefully this fall I will Mae it out. Our season doesn't open for rifle bear until Sept. 15. Archery opens the first part of September. Unfortunately no archery hunting this fall either as I won't have the strength to draw my bow.

Reactions: Guy
Here in Washington as well, Guy. Going to try and knock one down, too! Be my first ever, around the Tacoma area.

I wish i could be in the woods august 1st, but im stuck working in alaska, wont be back until late august at best, likely early september. Berries in the northeast corner are pretty well toast by then for the most part. Oh well, ill just have to work harder to fill my tags in september

I saw a nice mid size blackie on my morning hike above the house two days ago. Wish there wasn't so much Weyerhauser around here or that the CDLT had a couple hundred million to purchase it all from them.

With one from the spring already in the freezer a may be a little more selective. I don't know about you @Guy but I haven't seen a ton a big bears in the foothills they're all been on the westside or in the alpine.

I wish i could be in the woods august 1st, but im stuck working in alaska, wont be back until late august at best, likely early september. Berries in the northeast corner are pretty well toast by then for the most part. Oh well, ill just have to work harder to fill my tags in september
No cascade or bog bilberries up high above tree line in that neck of the woods?

I dont know what the hell those are. But the majority of the mountain here dont go much over 5000, and hucks and service berries are pretty much toast come september. Ill still be able to get into bears though, but august is way easier.

I dont know what the hell those are. But the majority of the mountain here dont go much over 5000, and hucks and service berries are pretty much toast come september. Ill still be able to get into bears though, but august is way easier.
They're just a huckleberry look alike (though I think they have a bit of an apple taste to them), but grow in the dense mats above tree line here in the cascades. They start to ripen in Sept and early Oct. Bears hit 'em hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back