Bear season almost here!

teamhoyt

Ok I can't take it anymore, I want to see pictures of bears and bear country, talk about bears, whatever.

Anyone help me out? Anyone seeing any yet? April 15 can't come soon enough!

Last edited:
A few elk are coming thru our place, but no sign of bear yet. There's still a bit of snow where I go bear hunting and no grass to be seen in our hay meadows yet.

Last year's bear mount is finished and I'll try and get to Anaconda to pick it up next week. Along with my new Hoyt Defiant in Butte! Big week next week.

Attachments

• IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3118.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 473
The weather for unit 39 in Idaho was looking so promising for seeing bears early, then we got hit with more snow :/ I hope it warms up, season opener and the very end are the only times I can get off work to go this spring. I'll be out the first wee, no matter the weather though!

For you Montana folks - any thoughts on the first two weeks of May with current snow levels?

I'd count on the second half of May here in SW Montana- I can't speak for the rest of MT though. We really don't see them much until May 15th or after. Hopefully the big brownie and big blackie are back again- they've been around the last 3 years mid-May into July.

The weather for unit 39 in Idaho was looking so promising for seeing bears early, then we got hit with more snow :/ I hope it warms up, season opener and the very end are the only times I can get off work to go this spring. I'll be out the first wee, no matter the weather though!

Ha ha! Wasn't that a trip?! Will you be hunting 39 for bear? That's where I will be spending most of my time looking for a bear. Hope to see more of 39 then I did last November.

Ha ha! Wasn't that a trip?! Will you be hunting 39 for bear? That's where I will be spending most of my time looking for a bear. Hope to see more of 39 then I did last November.
I got lucky and missed almost all thr snow between deployment and traveling for work! But i also missed all of the fall hubting season too! I defininetly will be bear hunting in 39, snow or shine I'll be there opening week and If I'm not successful, the first week or June. This is my first year bear hunting, so it'll be a learning experience! Spring bear will actually be my first Idaho hunt too.

I always get antsy and talk myself into going out in April and then I usually tell myself I should have waited until May. It's still always fun to get out of the house but May is way more productive for me.

Bear sightings seem to go from 1 every other day to 4+ a day in May and June around here.

I bear hunt about as much as I waterfowl hunt, which is none. But I might give it a go this year. Sure hope the season can stay open for more than a few days in the Beartooth this time around.

I keep hearing and reading that, but I have high hopes for April....mostly because I will be so busy at work all of May I won't be able to get out.

I am dying to bear hunt out west, but it is a long drive. I drove it twice last year for elk and doing it again for Elk this year so don't think i could do it three times in one year without someone doing it with me. hint!!!

If it makes a difference it's only $41.75 for a NR bear tag in ID in our units that are over objective. Even coming from Connecticut, you could do the trip for under $500.

If it makes a difference it's only $41.75 for a NR bear tag in ID in our units that are over objective. Even coming from Connecticut, you could do the trip for under $500.

Gas runs me around $800 solo round trip to MT in my truck, and that's before food, tags, etc. Still reasonably inexpensive, but you're not doing it for under $500 even if you split driving expenses with a buddy.

But, in my mind, the hardest part is being able to take the time away from work and family, not the expense.

Shucks I need to figure out where these units are! Ha ha! Would love to get a bear with my bow. Are this listed on IDFG website?

It would be about $600 for me but it is time that hurts with only one driver.

That sure is a long drive and a lot of gas! Doesnt seem so bad for me now, i just have to sit in a plane for 15 hrs. But it's definitely once a year trip.

I'll be out opening day! Gonna mow the yard and pitch this one man tent I bought last year used. Might spend a night out there if all goes well. Excited! Heading to the range later today to get more practice in.

Getting excited, this week of work can't end soon enough. Hopefully there are a few green patches among the white!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back