Caribou Gear

Bear kills angler

Just booked an Air B n B to go fishing the Yellowstone area in July. I’m not an overly fearful or risk averse person, but getting killed by a grizzly is not how I wanna go.

RIP to Mr. Mock. Very sad.

Too bad they couldn't fly him out after finding him. Might have made a difference. Must have been bad weather. I often (almost daily) fished alone at Brooks River in Katmai National Park. Sometimes into the wee hours of the morning when no one else was around. Grizzlies all over the place. A few times things became a little hairy but most of the bears were quite habituated ... most of the time. Unnerving at first having them around constantly but eventually I became acclimatized and able to enjoy myself. Stayed aware but not constantly anxious. Maybe I was nuts. Maybe not. My wife got in her sister's Ford Explorer to go visit friends Thanksgiving weekend ten years ago. Fifteen minutes and a red light later a semi trailer's rear wheels crushed her to death. No one wants to die a terrible death but fly fishing alone on a wild river is where I would rather meet my Maker. If an animal gets me out there, it would be sweet revenge considering how many of them I have killed. I remember thinking that very thought the last time I deflected a falling honker with my shotgun (yes, it's happened more than once!). Fishing and hunting alone is a risk but by God it is worth it. I'm so lucky to have been married to a good woman who understood that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back