Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bear Hunting With BW

DavidAk

Just got back from a couple weeks of bear hunting in Southeast. Met BW for the first time and had a blast hanging out with him while hunting for brown bear. Brian and I didn't get a bear, but a friend of mine and his dad managed to get a smallish one on the last day of their hunt. The weather couldn't have been better, and we pulled Brian's crab pots a couple times to have fresh crab for dinner.

I then spent a week hunting black bear with my brother and our hunting partner. We had another great week, and managed to each get a bear. Here are the photos of Jim's, mine, and my brother Bill's. Bill took his with a bow, his first bow-kill.

f8a21d11.jpg

f8a21c39.jpg

f8a21ac7.jpg

Good times!

dave

Way to go and major congrats to your buddies. The fresh crab sounds fantastic, it is hard to find around here...

Thanks, we had a blast...great couple weeks.

We flew down and hooked up with BW, then headed out to the field and put 450miles on his boat, cruising the beaches for bears. Got lucky on the weather and it was hot and sunny just about the whole time. Brian was great to hang out with, good guy and good friend.

My friend and his dad took the brown bear on the last day/last light. It was in some meadows back along a creek at the head of an inlet.

The next day they headed home and my brother and another hunting partner joined me for a week of black bear hunting. We camped on the beach and used my raft to zip around. We saw 14 bears that week, though we weren't hunting all that hard. Some were rubbed, the 3 we took were simply ones that gave us a good stalk opportunity.

My brother got his at 28yds, I stalked up with him and filmed it. It was our first experience with a bow kill, those broadheads sure do their job. He ran off and died just inside the trees, full pass-through, both lungs.

My friend killed his brownie with a .375, 300gr Noslers. My friend Jim killed his bear with a .300winmag, 180gr Noslers. I killed my bear with my .375, using some 270gr Swift A-Frames that JJHACK was kind enough to load up for me.

The skull sizes were 20.5, 20, and 20 7/8.

Hides are at the taxidermist!

dave

WOW!!! Cool story..... Make sure you post them when the Taxidermist gets done playing with them...

Gents,

I had a great time hunting with Dave, his friend Matt, and Matt's dad Bob. Really some good folks.

Here's some of the pictures I took.

f8bb8109.jpg

f8bb810f.jpg
f8bb8117.jpg

f8bfa31a.jpg

BW, what are the tracks next to the big Brownie track?

What weather.

Nice Bears, David. I'm sure you had a great time.

It's been windy down here the last few days, strong westerly. But still big sun every day.

It's very dry.

Thanks, muskeg...also, thanks for your input during the planning stages. Hope you're having (had?) a good season!

dave

Muskeg,

Yep, those are the tracks of a smallish brownie.

We've had great weather also, with some north winds kicking us a small bit of chop.

Oops sorry, miss read your post. I do believe those were blacktail tracks, as we ran into a deer right after we took those pictures.

David and B-DUB, Thanx for the Pictures and Stories !!! I sure love to See big dead bear.. Unfortunately I'm never in the Pictures with them
So I'll live through your Pics !!!

Thanx for Sharing and Looks like a Fun time was had for sure !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back