Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bear hunting in the rain - Waste of time?

I often plan hunts around the rain. Right after a hard rain stops, and even better, the sun suddenly comes out, it seems all the animals are going crazy. I think its the smell of wet soil and all the food sources which fill the air and kind of make a "food rut".
I find a mild drizzle is also good.

Being out in the rain sucks, not my favorite thing, but there have been a couple time I stuck it out and when the rain cleared up, a bear showed up and grazed out into the open. It was only after the rain stopped, so for what it's worth. If it's the kind o weather that seems to be a multi-day downpour, maybe not worth it, but if you can reasonably expect it will clear up or be intermittent, I'd stick.

Bears have ADHD. They seem to just show up at times and places you don't really expect and even when casually browsing, they still don't tend to hold still very long and might just up and run off for no apparent reason.

This is what I've learned about ALL game. If you are not on stand immediately after an adverse weather event (when it's a clearing up situation and not just a temporary lull) you're missing out on prime time. It may not last long, but you have to BE THERE.
100% agree. Lots of trail cam pics at night of big whitetails. Only pics of big buck in the daytime have been immediately after the rain stops. Gotta be there soon after it stops.

We’ve had a few trail cams up at our cabin for the past 17 years (since we’ve owned it) bears cruise through the area all the time. Though I have plenty of Bruin pics in the snow I can honestly say that I do not have a single pic of a bear during a decent rain storm. Coincidence? Maybe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back