Bear hunting how to get started?

sigpros

My wife has always wanted to hunt bears. Especially a color phase bear. That being said I don't know anything about hunting bears and would like to plan a surprise hunt for her. Since having the kids and selling our farm she hasn't been able to go on any hunts. So my questions are when's the best time to go spring or fall? Which state? Kinda leaning toward Idaho or Montana. When do bears taste the best? I am a meat hunter first and for most so I want to be able to have the best meat. I also need to find out how to skin the bears also. Not looking for a booner or anyone's honey hole just a direction to start a unit in a stats would be good too. Just want her to be able to see some bears and maybe get a shot. It will be her first out of state hunt and I want to make some good memories with her. Thanks for any help guys.

I live in Montana and there are plenty of bears here. The thing that you should know is that most people who harvest a bear are not out bear hunting. They are hunting elk or deer and stumble upon a bear and then take it. It can be a VERY hard hunt, because the bears are so smart. I would recommend almost anywhere in western Montana. One thing to look out for though is Trichinosis. Many of the bears have this and you need to cook the meat to atleast 150 no matter what.

I don't know anything about bear hunting either, but I just packed up and drove to Montana last May to give it a go :) .. Saw 1 nice one at about 250 yards, but it never gave me the shot I wanted after I got set up on it. Came home with an empty cooler. I do think I was in a decent spot, as there was lots of sign around and I've since been told by a couple dedicated bear hunters on this forum that it was a good area. I just wasn't seeing the bears. I think I went a little too early - the first half of May. This spring, I think I'm going to go the last week of May.

If you are starting to plan a spring hunt now, you have lots of time to pin down a couple areas to target. Keep in mind that the areas you can hunt depend heavily on how much snow the area recieves and how long it lingers. On my hunt, everything above about 6k still had 3-4 feet or more of snowpack. For this reason, it would probably be a good idea to have some spots identified, using google earth/etc., that span a range of elevations. Once you arrive at your hunting area, look for vantage points where you can glass multiple grassy slopes.

I chose Montana, since I was doing it spot and stalk. Baiting and hounds are not allowed in Montana, so I figured I'd have less competition on less pressured bears. And, I didn't see another bear hunter the entire time I was there. If you can get there early enough and want to try baiting, Idaho might be the better option. I may actually try Idaho this spring myself, although due to time constraints will probably keep it to spot and stalk.

Oregon has a lot of bears. I only target them in the spring and kill a nice boar every year with a reasonable amount of effort.

Oregon has no hounds or bait hunting.....strictly spot and stalk.

The NE units are not guaranteed draws with no points but seem to allow for some great hunting. I hunt the north coast and it's hard to see anything due to the brush so total sightings is way lower.

If you want the best tasting bears a fall bear that has been eating huckleberries is going to be hard to beat. Best hides are usually in the spring. Do a search through the bear forums on here and you'll find a lot of info about spring bear. Not a lot of guys on this site target fall bears exclusively because deer and elk seasons are running concurrently. Montana's rifle season starts Sept. 15. A lot of bears are denning up by the end of Oct. Early is better for the fall.

I live in Montana and there are plenty of bears here. The thing that you should know is that most people who harvest a bear are not out bear hunting. They are hunting elk or deer and stumble upon a bear and then take it.

Thats how mine was. Almost did not shoot it cause I was barely out of camp and wanted to look for elk instead of running 2 hours back to town. Glad I did now.

Doesn't show which state you are in now, but take a long serious look at Maine. A little known fact is Yogi was actually born just north of Bangor, but moved to Jellystone due to a more consistent supply of pick-a-nick baskets. If you don't believe it, listen to his accent.

I'm in Missouri so I'm traveling somewhere. Can you still trap them in Maine? I would love that

Idaho bears

If you decide to hunt Idaho, I have a couple spots for you. One spot is better in the spring, one is better in the fall. Let me know if you're interested in knowing. I've killed a few, none were record bears but they were very fun hunts.

Yes, Maine allows you to take one bear by firearm/bow and a second by trapping (snare). You can rent a snare from most outfitters who allow trapping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back