Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Bear Grease, Oak Brush, and #greentree's G-bear

I think my bear experience is pretty typical.
1st bear, just try and get one.
Subsequent... cool/big hides.

I didn't keep the meat of my first bear, in a state that didn't require it, and have always regretted it.

My buddy Joe and I embarked on this trip, with the specific goal of bear grease and meat. In some ways a paradigm sift, looking at bears they way I might elk. No one turns up their nose at a 2 year old dry cow.

Yes this is preamble to say we did not shoot a BC bear.

1631817527521.png

Last edited:
Then, the clouds (which were not present cause it's CO) parted, a ray of light shown down from the sky, and low...

A M-F Grizzly.

It had everything.

Brown
A bear
Hump
Way too far away
Cub that was also brown
1631818045573.png

So clearly I owe Adam a heartful and sincere apology. CO is just infested with grizzlies and I'm an idiot.

I will be sending this pic and any shred of creditably I once had to CPW.

Last edited:
Oh chit... sorry.

Don't you hate when it you glass all day and the bear gets closer.

Also light spectrum and sun angle are a real mother...

1631818237043.png

*Adam if you read this just joking, please don't beat me up. I'm educating the masses at your expense.

Chapter 3.

So, day 1 was spent glassing tons of sows with cubs and a couple small single bears. That night we put a stalk on a bigger bear (small/medium) right before shooting light ended but it walked off into the oak brush.

Next morning we decide to try and sit a gulch that is 350 yards across so that we actually have a shot at a bear if we see it.

As we move into position some deer blow out below us... Joe hunkers down and I move 30 yards across the hill to see if I can view the bottom 1/3 of our hillside.
1631819028546.png

A bear emerges on the opposing hillside.

We both see it and shout whisper to each other.

We both have earplugs in because I brought my new howitzer, and with the brake it's terrifying.

"pssss WILL"- Joe

"PSSS JOE"- Will

"I'm gonna shoot" - Joe

"I'm gonna shoot" - Will

So right as I have the crosshairs lined up Joe shoots.

I see the bear get hit wheel about, and run down hill. I shoot and miss (more than once 🤦‍♂️)... the valley echoes and all of the archery hunters in the unit curse our (my) names.
* Sorry bros*

Last edited:
So we break down the bear, save all the fat, and proceed through a crap load of oak brush.

We changed into pants... hindsight, pros and cons to that life choice.

Personally I thought the pack out was reasonable post "character building" Alaskan vacation.

Joe let me know it was not awesome, and that while not devils club still shreds you if you wear a t-shirt.

So we pack it to the car, get the bear on ice and then say what the heck and hike back in for another one.

On the way we encounter some nice archery hunters.

That night like the night before we camped under the stars. No tents or shelters were used as it was 93 degrees during the day 60 at night and 0 chance of rain.

So it rained and hailed that night.

That was a great experience. Lots of good character building and problem solving. #manskills

Next day we walk around, glassed, and looked at bears too far away.
1631820206867.png
1631820355393.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back