MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

BDC Muzzleloader Scope - Should I or Not?

KayakMacGyver

I'm getting ready to purchase another Muzzleloader and am considering a BDC reticle scope. Reviews are mixed across Google, so I was wondering if anyone has any real world experience with them. I'll admit, I'm not very well versed on ballistics and struggle to understand how a BDC could be a one size fits all kind of deal. Depending on charge, bullet, etc....the number of variables seems like it could effectively render a BDC useless. I like the idea of having a consistent point of reference that theoretically is dead on at multiple distances. For a cetnerfire rifle, I wouldn't bother with a BDC considering all of my shots here Florida are between 1-200 yards. With a Muzzleloader, that's potentially alot of drop and it's inconsistent estimation to hold over on our puny deer.

Should I consider a BDC or scrap the idea all together?

The Leupold ultimate slam 3x9 BDC is a really good scope! I use it on my 450 bushmaster and my 50 cal muzzle loader. Both are very similar ballistics with a jacketed 240g Hornady STX bullet and triple 7 pellets.

The lines work out to a 100yards zero, 150, and 200. Give or take a few inches on the different guns velocities.

I likes it so much I’ve bought another. Give Schmaltz a PM and see what he can do. At the end of the day even if you decide you don’t want to use the BDC lines, you still have a great scope.

The Leupold ultimate slam 3x9 BDC is a really good scope! I use it on my 450 bushmaster and my 50 cal muzzle loader. Both are very similar ballistics with a jacketed 240g Hornady STX bullet and triple 7 pellets.

The lines work out to a 100yards zero, 150, and 200. Give or take a few inches on the different guns velocities.

I likes it so much I’ve bought another. Give Schmaltz a PM and see what he can do. At the end of the day even if you decide you don’t want to use the BDC lines, you still have a great scope.

Thanks for the quick reply....

Quick searches have shown that scope to be discontinued. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I can't come up with anything.

Thanks for the quick reply....

Quick searches have shown that scope to be discontinued. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I can't come up with anything.

This is the new name for it. It now runs under the freedom line. I have this version and one when it was named different. No difference in performance.

I've got a BDC on top of my in-line and love it. Just work out the load that is the most consistent out of your muzzleloader and then verify what yardages your BDC is set to.

I have a Nikon BDC on mine and really like it. I was able to use Nikon's Spot On program and input my bullet, velocity, elevation, etc. and it provided a very accurate drop chart. I found you have to actually chronograph your load to get the right velocity and not rely on stated velocities from Nikon or from the powder manufacturer. But, as I said, I like it. Ask me again in two months when I hope to have a muley buck and a few cow elk under my belt with the smoke pole. So far it is death on targets...

I had a miss last year on a cow that was directly attributable to a bad holdover in a close situation. Long story short, I just upgraded to the ultimate slam from a vx2. Now I gotta figure out where the dots align at 4x and 9x, the two magnifications usually hunt with.

I have a Nikon 3x9 w/BDC. Great glass. Spot on for the 200 yrd range & less. But the BDC rings are very blocky & it tends to bother my FOV.
Wish it just had hash marks.

I have a Nikon 3x9 w/BDC. Great glass. Spot on for the 200 yrd range & less. But the BDC rings are very blocky & it tends to bother my FOV.
Wish it just had hash marks.

My thoughts as well. Their program is handy though it needs to be verified.

Last edited:
I had to play with loads of BH209 to find what my Omega liked best,then try & dial it. Not as precise as Zeiss system.
But my Nikon scope is also 15 yrs old. Leupold came out with their MZ scope a year later with hash marks.....

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back