Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Barrel Recommendations

So what is the lightest 24 inch barrel you could get, regardless of preformance... who makes that? I'm just curious.
I mean you could go with a #1 contour but that is going to be extremely whippy and balance terrible in your stock. Fluting small diameter barrels #4 and under saves very little weight. I’d personally leave the barrel alone. Barrel is not where I’d be cutting weight. A #3 contour at 25” on a Remington sitting in a McMillan edge stock topped with a leupold 4.5-15x40 goes 7.5-8lbs

I mean you could go with a #1 contour but that is going to be extremely whippy and balance terrible in your stock. Fluting small diameter barrels #4 and under saves very little weight. I’d personally leave the barrel alone. Barrel is not where I’d be cutting weight. A #3 contour at 25” on a Remington sitting in a McMillan edge stock topped with a leupold 4.5-15x40 goes 7.5-8lbs

So a Kimber et al, have light barrels...but even lighter stocks i.e. you want the barrel to weigh more than the stock?

Post #4.... yep...

So upgrade options...assuming all would wear a VX-3I Leuopld that weights 12.6oz (cost is scope + rifle) and my current rifle weighs 9.5lbs

Tikka 3X Superlite 6.5 Swede ~$1300
6.6lb + 12.6oz =7.4lbs
Cost per lb saved= $619

Kimber Ascent .280 AI ~$2370
5.3lb + 12.6oz= 6.1lbs
Cost per lb saved = $697

Barret Field Craft 6.5 Swede ~$2400
5.6lb + 12.6oz =6.4lbs
Cost per lb saved= $774

Randy Rifle 6.5Creedmoor ~ $1600
7.4lbs +12.6oz = 8.2lbs
Cost per lb saved= $1230

Scope upgrade $520 weight savings 5.4oz
Proof Research 24in Carbon Sendero light $830 1.5lbs

Total weight savings 1.8lbs new rifle weight 7.7lbs cost $1350 + gunsmithing
Cost per lb Saved $750

So based on the nerd out seems like the Tikka is an obvious a good route, the Kimber works well... Barret probably as well given gunsmithing costs.

Please excuse the over analysis lol

....calfrope

The lightest was a tikka, well also a knight muzzy with open sights that is like sub 6lbs.
Ya so the tikka runs a normal sporter weight barrel on it. They save weight on their stock and action. A kimber montana with their spaghetti string barrel is a tough rifle to shoot accurately left as a stock rifle. Switch that barrel out to a little beefier barrel and it’s a way better shooting rifle. Lilja I think calls the contour a 84m modified

Proof sendero light is almost the same weight as a #3

That’s a good point. I was going on how much lighter than are than a barrel of similar contour, but they don’t have any really small contours. The barrel is not a great place to try dropping an entire 2lbs unless you had a pretty heavy barrel to begin with.

replacing steel mounts with aluminum will help.
Changing recoil pads will help.
Drilling out a hollow in the stock will help.

All of those are relatively inexpensive ways to cut weight.

More expensive ways: change your optic.

Most expensive way: buy a new barrel.

You might be able to have your existing barrel fluted and refinished to also cut weight.

I hate to see you put $1000 or more in modifications into a Remington BDL, trying to find frugal ways to reduce your gun's weight to achieve your goal.

Post #4.... yep...

So upgrade options...assuming all would wear a VX-3I Leuopld that weights 12.6oz (cost is scope + rifle) and my current rifle weighs 9.5lbs

Tikka 3X Superlite 6.5 Swede ~$1300
6.6lb + 12.6oz =7.4lbs
Cost per lb saved= $619

Kimber Ascent .280 AI ~$2370
5.3lb + 12.6oz= 6.1lbs
Cost per lb saved = $697

Barret Field Craft 6.5 Swede ~$2400
5.6lb + 12.6oz =6.4lbs
Cost per lb saved= $774

Randy Rifle 6.5Creedmoor ~ $1600
7.4lbs +12.6oz = 8.2lbs
Cost per lb saved= $1230

Scope upgrade $520 weight savings 5.4oz
Proof Research 24in Carbon Sendero light $830 1.5lbs

Total weight savings 1.8lbs new rifle weight 7.7lbs cost $1350 + gunsmithing
Cost per lb Saved $750

So based on the nerd out seems like the Tikka is an obvious a good route, the Kimber works well... Barret probably as well given gunsmithing costs.

Please excuse the over analysis lol

this is both impressive and helpful with a discussion I am currently having with someone

I will also share with you what I told him. Another way to make your rifle "seem" lighter is to spend more time in the gym and running around the track at the local high school (-:

Best of luck

Kifaru gunbearer sling also helps
Make your rifle feel “lighter” as it takes the rifle weight and puts it on your hips rather than your shoulders

Yeah I have one... for a lot of hunts I don’t mind the weight but for back pack hunts 10lb just sucks... especially when the rest of my gear + food and 3L of water only weighs 35lbs.

As stated by brockel you won’t save much weight changing the barrel out. A Remington magnum contour like what is on your rifle currently isn’t that heavy of a barrel due to how they taper and have no shank. You could shorten the barrel to 24” but that won’t save you much either. If you want to shoot heavy bullets I’d go 7.5 twist probably.
I would agree that replacing that heavy laminate stock would be the first step and most beneficial to cutting weight. Have you considered a RH Mcmillan stock that is ambidextrous and use a stock pack to create the cheek pad needed on the LH side.
Also switching scopes would be next and use some Talley LW rings.
After that your gonna be spending a lot of money on things that won’t cut very many ounces such as fluting the barrel, bolt, bolt handle. That may save you 6-8oz total. That’s up to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back