MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Barrel Break In

That'd be true if there was not already a sunk cost in idle time between shots. If you do the clean for the first five, figure 2 minutes each cleaning so there's 10 minutes. If you clean after 5 for the next 50 (another 20 minutes) you have to let the barrel cool anyway, so it's really no time cost.

Anybody have a barrel maker give any reasoning as to why their particular method is needed? Biggest threat to a barrel is heat. If you keep them cool seems you'd be ok. Gotta wonder about all the cleaning. Personally I've never followed any particular procedure. Just wondering if any maker gives an explanation. mtmuley

That is interesting. I heard the same thing on that podcast. I wonder why they would list 3 ways to do it on the web site. Actually I think there may have been mention about the reason for that as well. Something about people requesting a break in procedure and the company giving them something to keep those customers happy.

I figure break in doesn't hurt and I do what the mfg suggests. If I do what they say to do and something is amiss then that's one less reason for the issue.I find it hard to believe that if I shoot 10 rounds and clean the end result will be any different than shooting 1 then 2 then 5 or whatever the last expert said to do.

Back