Barnes Vor-tx Misfires!

RobG

I bought some Barnes 30'06 180 gr Tipped TSX BT and just got back from the range. I had 4 misfires out of a box of 20!

I think this is first time I've had a misfire in the gun and I've been shooting it for 35 years. After some investigation (including shooting the whole box while debugging plus a control box of cheap fusion ammo) someone noticed that the primers of the misfires were set too deep. Anyone else having issues with this ammo?

rg

I had one misfire on me two years ago when I pulled the trigger on a bear. Luckily he stuck around long enough for me to chamber another round.

I had a 165 grain, .300WSM misfire last winter when I pulled the trigger on a 5 point muley with some trash - would have been my biggest mule deer. I shot my gun last weekend, Barnes were all over the place at 100 yards. low, even lower, high and to the right, high and to the left, and even higher. Switched to Bergers (had a box of 168 grain that I have never shot before) adjusted up/down once and grouping was perfect for the next 10 shots.

I am done with Barnes Vor-tx!!

My 300 WSM likes them, never had a misfire but since I havent started reloading for my 06's im going to buy some Federal Premium for this year.

I hear they sponsor an awesome show.

Sounds like I'm not the only one... Is there a tool - perhaps used by reloaders - that measures how far the primer is inserted? I got 4 bleeping boxes...

I have a call into Barnes... will see if they respond.

In a nod to the sponsors... I normally use Federal triple shocks and have never had a problem but I had to take what was on the shelf!

rg

I would think a primer would have to be really deep in order for that to be the issue. I seat my primers so they are just ever so slightly below flush with the case head. How deep are we talking?

Misfires soon tell you if you have a flinch, but they are no fun
and doubt is never good for accuracy. I would certainly not be hunting
with them. Having a miss fire on a trophy animal and not getting it's
a most memorable experience. For all the wrong reasons.

I would think a primer would have to be really deep in order for that to be the issue. I seat my primers so they are just ever so slightly below flush with the case head. How deep are we talking?

Yeah, I think you are right. A guy at the range pointed out that the primer of the misfired rounds were set deeper, but I think the was just because they misfired, thus the powder charge didn't knock it back.

After the first one misfired I figured my rifle was showing its age (it's after all a ~1940s Savage). But then another one misfired.... hmmm, maybe it is the brand. So I ran a bunch of Federal Fusions through it and they seemed fine. Then I went back to the Barnes and got 2 more misfires. wtf..

I wonder if they got a bad batch of primers? Curious to see what Barnes says, I bet they replace all of it.

I had a Rem 700 25-06 suddenly start misfiring on my handloads a couple years ago. Trip to the smith fixed it though. He said the firing pin was worn and no longer protruding enough from the boltface.

It started suddenly and had never done that before. Could have been a combination of the pin AND the shells?

Point is, you may have deeper problems than just ammo. Might want to have it checked out.

I had a Rem 700 25-06 suddenly start misfiring on my handloads a couple years ago. Trip to the smith fixed it though. He said the firing pin was worn and no longer protruding enough from the boltface.

It started suddenly and had never done that before. Could have been a combination of the pin AND the shells?

Point is, you may have deeper problems than just ammo. Might want to have it checked out.

Yeah, I came to that conclusion last night.

Update - I heard back from Barnes and also took my rifle out to Rockies Gunsmith. First thing Rocky did was a very high tech test: he put three pieces of masking tape on the offending round's primer and chambered it. The bolt closed, meaning the round is a bit short. He also noted the primer is a seated a tad deep. He did another more precise test and verified my chamber is within specifications, but a tad longer than normal. All three of these things combined to cause the problem.

On the way back from Rocky's I got a call from Ty at Barnes. I told him what Rocky found and he said Rocky is a sharp gunsmith! It turns out that Remmington does the brass and loading for Barnes and they had a bad lot so the brass for the '06 on that particular machine came out a tad short. For most rifles they will work fine, but if you have one with a slightly longer chamber they can misfire.

Barnes is going to replace the boxes with good ammo. I'll give them a break.. this time ;).

rg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back